Rengo Casual Mode feedback

If i am still awake, i will greatly participate (30s up )

4 Likes

Hmm 3 people with incompatible preferences for now. @stone.defender @shinuito @Groin Would you be willing to play with the other time settings as well or not?
I think we want timeouts so let’s say I’d tend to prefer 5 or 9. But we can also play with more time and I will “sacrifice” myself in a certain point

2 Likes

I think you might end up having to sacrifice yourself (if that is your intention) regardless of the time setting; didn’t you successfully play some 1s blitz recently?

2 Likes

Yes, it was against @stone.defender :grin:

I’m going to let my time finish if no one loses by timeout. Maybe someone else should do the same too

It seems like we’re going to play with 30 seconds

2 Likes

Sounds fun to play and test it. I volunteer to time out first, e.g. in the middle of a fight/life-or-death.

3 Likes

We did a few tests and it seems to work very well :slight_smile:

Here are the things we noticed:

• For the organiser (I don’t know if for others too) the first players are 6k. After the first move their rank becomes “?”.
  • If a player loses by disconnection, the system says “‘playername’ left: they resigned”
  • If a player is eliminated/leaves, the rengo he was in keeps appearing in his active games
  • If a player is eliminated/leaves, you have to refresh the page to see the correct number of players in the game’s info
  • @Samraku had to refresh to dismiss the timeout timer sitting at 0.00 seconds
  • This game stuck twice for me: once while playing and once as a spectator. I couldn’t read any new messages, not even the ones I wrote, and the time wasn’t running. Refreshing the page fixed it.

The chat before the game seems to work perfectly.

8 Likes

When joining the second game, I only saw one chat message in the game chat at the top. I added my own message, and it did not show up, but I scrolled down, and it was shown on the smaller game info panel. The upper game info panel never had more than that one message.

3 Likes

Thanks for testing it out - that’s quite a list!

I wasn’t sure if this was a bug or a feature: it shows as a game that you joined which is still going and it’s not your turn. That’d certainly be at the bottom of my list to “fix” :wink:

All the others sound like real bugs … is the first one new, or has rengo always been like that?

4 Likes

I had noticed it before too.
I mentioned it here:

2 Likes

For the record (and moderators who need to know but don’t play rengo):

1. The chat gets a message (from “system”) saying “Bhydden left: they timed out”

2. If you step back through the game, the player cards update to show the teams at that time.

I think it would be nice if the Game Information listed the original participants, at all times, but that’s a fair bit of work for a nice-to-have.

5 Likes

Silly me read this and assumed it implied that

Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

OK, that’s sorted (fix submitted).

Darn, I’ve seen that myself, and thought I had fixed it: the lighting bolt doesn’t go away properly when the new player is substituted in.

… and I think this means “after the first move their rank becomes correct”, right, because of [?] rank on beta? Or is it “wrongly always ?” ?

Yes, after the first move the ranks become correct.
I have never noticed this on the main site, but I have never played with players without rank iirc.

It will most likely be a rengo bug: due to the way the cards have to update in rengo, the ranks associated with them work differently.

2 Likes

I think there was also something @stone.defender noticed about the score estimator, I believe analysis and conditional moves were disabled but when it wasn’t your turn the score estimator would be enabled, after a refresh of the page anyway,

I think that was this one anyway

but just to re mention it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

easy fix is for everyone to always have the full katago se like they always should have #sorrynotsorry

1 Like

Is casual mode only available in beta? Is there a timeline for production?

Thanks for all the work that goes into this!

2 Likes

Yes, it’s only on beta at the moment. You’ll know when it’s in production when the create-challenge dialog has a “casual” checkbox for Rengo games :slight_smile:

It’s hard to give a timeline … I’d be hopeful for seeing it into production some time next week, but it depends on what problems turn up.

6 Likes

Is there any indication for a started game whether it is casual or not?

Somebody in this game just expressed concern that the game would be short-lived because of the time settings. I checked the api/v1/games page to verify were in casual and it isn’t a problem, but a user-friendly indicator (maybe a field in GameInfo) would be helpful too

4 Likes

I think it says “Casual Rengo!” in the game info at the top :slight_smile:

Edit: I believe the other games (checked one that was much further along) say “Strict Rengo”

2 Likes