Rengo status

Can you point me to the game that’s not working, and describe which chats are the problem?

OK you already checked our game Partita amichevole
and answered in the chat “I’m not sure if it should be fixed retrospectively” so we’ll see.

Small bug: immediately after sending a move, my team mate seems online (green light) even though he is not.
This is the second time I’ve noticed this.
Refreshing the game page fixes it.

Screenshot

3 Likes

Wait we’re actually getting this??? I thought discussions had paused on theoretical stage.

I didn’t even know I wanted it, I’m so excited. Even if I never get to play, it will make everyone happy. :hugs:

Last time it was a medal, now it’s full on “demolish part of the city walls”. :wink:

10 Likes

I can confirm that the green light thing is a thing - I noticed it too. Somehow it manages to change the avatar picfure and name without changing who it’s looking at for green light status.

I’ll dig into that (noted in the head post)

2 Likes

I’ve just tried playing it in the beta testing and discovered that it is both fun (I wasn’t expecting that) and worse than two player go. Now when you make a mistake you feel terrible not only for yourself but for the other person as well. And even more - you have to wonder whether what you played was a move they hate or not even if it is not obviously a mistake yet!! :open_mouth:

10 Likes

So, like opponents in regular Go? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Right, except worse, because of the imagined cursing you’re causing someone who is supposed to be on your side :smiley: :smiley:

7 Likes

I think Rengo shouldn’t be considered too seriously, for me it’s a way to have fun with friends and/or a teaching tool where weaker players are confronted with better moves from their partner or opponent.

A few years ago I played a Rengo (with handicap) as a 9k, the three other people being 1d+. My opponents tried to drive the game into complicated positions while my partner kept trying to repair my blunders…

11 Likes

It’t true. I think the only problem occurs probably if the stronger player in the team is interested in winning more than having fun with the weaker opponent. The psychological(*) problem for the weaker player is knowing whether this is true or not, especially in “randomly formed” teams.

(*): potential hypothetical psychological problem in the case where the weaker person is someone who cares about that sort of thing :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

Rengo psychology

Returning to Rengo Status … there are a bunch of fixes on beta now, reflected in the top post.

Anoek has asked for the player cards to update when you step back through the game - I’ve put that into the “must have” list.

7 Likes

I’m not sure it’s the right place to write it, but a finished game (this one) still appears among my active games and it has a slightly different goban color

Some screenshots, in case you don't see it.

3 Likes

Same here (active list) for the same game.

Also for the same game, it has lost the Rengo header it used to have and no longer displays the other users that were initially part of the game (perhaps because the game ended before they made a move??)

rengo-testing

This is what the same game looks like on my phone before and after refreshing it just now (thankfully I had a saved cache)

1 Like

I think it would be great to have quickly live rengo for easier testing btw.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, where is development of this happening? I have some free time in the next week and might be able to look into making a PR for some of the features if it’s open source

3 Likes

I know the front end is open source, checkout @GreenAsJade’s rengo branch here: GitHub - GreenAsJade/online-go.com at rengo

1 Like

I think you mean that users would find bugs more quickly if it was live on the main site?

We need a certain level of stability before that’s possible, otherwise a bug could inflict hard-to-repair damage.

5 Likes

I think they meant it would be better if our rengo testing was done with live games on the beta server rather than corr…

2 Likes