Rengo status

A new step for the humanity! Thanks.

1 Like

… now to deal with the bugs :open_mouth:

It seems like this change has broken the turn-indicator. We’re investigating.

Edit: this is fixed.

7 Likes

looks like there never would be enough people. I can’t even test this casual mode.

there is auto live tournament icon on OGS.

Maybe also do auto casual rengo?

2 Likes

It’s the middle of the night in America… and the middle of the work day in Europe… why don’t you try again in a few hours? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Are you saying there are not enough Australian go players?

3 Likes

Yes. Yes I am. Come force more Australians to play Go :smiley:

6 Likes

Did you create one? I think everyone is waiting for someone else to create one, so they can join one already created and not have to wait for as many people :wink:

4 Likes

Now that it’s out for a short while, watching what happens, I think “default == casual” is the right answer.

That is because someone who wants strict rengo knows what they are looking for, and will click the checkbox to get it.

Wheras someone who’s just trying it out probably wants casual mode, but they don’t know that.

Any objections?

4 Likes

In general, I prefer the one who knows their way around to have to look for the switch.

2 Likes

I have no objection to that; I already look at all checkboxes before starting a game (OT: custom presets would be nice for normal challenges), so one more won’t matter.

2 Likes

I presume for the user it’s about whether they see

or

when they check the rengo box? In theory I don’t think it’ll matter that much, as long as the casual box actually disables other boxes like time settings so one doesn’t check Fischer instead of simple etc.

It does do that but maybe a note that that’s what it’s doing so people don’t think it’s a bug. I think the note was there on beta?

1 Like

Yes that picture is the right idea.

I think it does matter, though. It matters because if you don’t know what “Casual” does, and you are trying out Rengo, you won’t check the other box. But if you don’t know what Rengo is, it means it’s likely an ad-hoc game, which would best be casual.

The note in beta wasn’t an explanation, it was a request :slight_smile: At that time, I hadn’t solved how to force Simple time, so it was saying “you must chose simple time, otherwise you will get an error”.

Now it is forced, so that note isn’t needed (thankfully, because it was not clear anyhow).

3 Likes

I suppose maybe sharing clocks also doesn’t seem like the most obvious progression from single player to team games. So maybe have your own move clock is a simpler transition.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Considering OTB rengo use a shared clock, that seems to me to be the logical default in the sense of ‘least surprises’, but individual clocks probably eliminate causes for quarrels like “you’re moving too slowly, now I feel more pressured”.

Yep, I’ll tend to make non-casual rengo challenges unless there’s a particular reason for making it casual, but it sounds like this change might be a nice QoL thing for new rengo players, while not really affecting the use case of people like me who want a shared clock, as a general rule.

4 Likes

yes, after long time someone accepted, then after long time they left.
My idea about accepting rengo of others is not just about decreasing wait time, its about increasing probability that it will start at all.

Announcing your rengo in main chat looks like thing that works for others, but I don’t like doing it. There should be some kind of announce that seen for people in chat, that appears automatically.

looks like cool “special event”

If someone writes in the chat, you see a notification here:

Screen-2-1-2022_103741_PM

1 Like

How cool is that :smiley: :smiley: I had no idea!

Tried twice, got nothing.

I’m going to try to get that Rengo Thursdays thing going, although it didn’t get much traction.

I would like an (opt-in, OGS cockpit meme goes here) notification that live rengo is available. Something discreet.

1 Like

It strikes me that folk looking for live rengo need a more persisting way of saying so, without getting in the way of doing other things here.

I think casual might open up this possibility: a live casual rengo challenge should not consume the auto-match panel. Instead, if you join some other live game, then you get withdrawn from the casual live challenge.

This would allow you to sit with a live casual challenge and play live go as well.

3 Likes