Rengo status

• Top voted “casual mode” has been submitted to anoek for review
  • Second voted “Concensus resign” is getting some thought and discussion, but it needs “totally new stuff”, so unlikely to appear quickly
  • I’m investigating third voted “chat in challenge pane” (in theory should be built on existing things)

About casual mode: it uses Simple Time (only). This is because:

1. The existing mechanisms make it easy to provide this solution
  2. If it’s a casual game, you probably don’t need sophisticated timing, you just want people to play within a predictable amount of time.
14 Likes

You will do it as “default”? Otherwise, timeouts in rengo still will be too often thing.
(those, who wish serious rengo, can enable it on purpose)

1 Like

I imagine it’s not what people would be used to as a default for Rengo however. The usual is to share a clock, so that seems like the more natural for a default.

It seems like it’d be fine to have it that one can enable individual clocks if they wish instead?

5 Likes

As with all the challenge parameters, this one “sticks”, so it becomes the default after you set it.

If you see a rengo challenge that is not casual, and you fear timeout game end, then just don’t join that one :woman_shrugging:

(Of course, it could be made the default, I’m just not sure if that’s the right thing - maybe another poll :smiley: )

4 Likes

By my count so far the poll looks like 6-1 in favour of keeping it as is :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Rengo “Casual Mode” is at beta .

It’s an option that becomes available when you tick “rengo”.

5 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Rengo Casual Mode feedback

FYI - iOS support: Surround — iOS client for OGS - #124 by HongAnhKhoa

3 Likes

FYI “casual mode” and “chat in challenges” are in review/testing.

Next up is letting moderators start challenges that have been lying around for “too long” (whatever they decide that means).

I plan that moderators will be able to press the “start” button on these, and it will convert them to “casual” (so anyone can escape if they really didn’t want to be in it starting now) and get them going.

7 Likes

On the main site?
Good news!

1 Like

Review testing normally means beta server not main site

Well, casual was already announced on beta, and this time it’s not so I prefer asking. Some test were announced on the main site too

Yep many are looking like filled "flies glue trap ".

If so, could have an autostart (less burden on moderators) after a reasonable delay (a week?).
Converting in casual is appropriate, sure.

3 Likes

Even one week feels too much. Who wants to setup a challenge and wait for 1 week before the game starts?

1 Like

You could have your game on beta now and get more testing done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As discussed before, I would rather favor an auto-cancellation rather than auto-start.

Both would be an improvement over status quo, but if the owner of the game doesn’t care enough about it to even launch it, it may be best to cancel it rather than launch plenty of games which will very likely not be followed through.

8 Likes

Moderators will have either option. However, my thinking is that with auto-start-casual, anyone who is no longer interested in that game will not play and it will be left with those who are interested in it… there are some super-large challenges, so you’d think these would turn into moderately decent sized games even if only half end up playing.

6 Likes

I opened a correspondence casual rengo on the beta site Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS if someone wants to join and test it.

Edit: game started!

4 Likes

Rengo Casual Mode is live now (main server).

Reminder:

• There’s a checkbox that appears when you select Rengo, to let you select “Casual”
  • Casual Games are run in Simple Time.
    • The effect of this is the each player has their own clock, which counts down the same amount of time each turn.
  • If you resign or drop out from a Casual Game, the game keeps going, unless you were the last on the team
    • If a person drops out while it is “their turn” the next person on the same team gets the turn, with a fresh clock
    • This isn’t “ideally fair” perhaps, but it is a pragmatic solution for a casual game

Moderators now have the power to start Rengo challenges (as well as to delete them). If a moderator starts a rengo challenge (presumably because it has been hanging around for too long) it becomes a Casual Mode game, with timing based on an idea of the average time per move for whatever the original setting was. The intent is that if there are players in the challenge who don’t want to be in it after the moderator started it, they can drop out without ruining it completely for everyone.

I think we can expect some of the existing old challenges to get started in this way before too long.

If you want your existing challenge converted to casual mode, you can ask a moderator to start it for you. It may be polite to try asking for this in the Rengo chat before approaching moderators individually.

This brings with it “chat in challenges” as well.

Note: you need to refresh the page to get this change.

9 Likes

they are trying to make you understand
i myself and other new members joining in do not need to understand this
maybe its not necessarily needed to add in a timer?
they are most probably talking about is using the settings on the rengo status