Rengo status

but if handicap set to “none”, creator shouldn’t be able to increase it. So those who join and wish no handicap would know what to expect.

3 Likes

And voted for here.

1 Like

Oh thanks, it’s on the list, that’s great.

1 Like

Interesting point. So maybe the creator should set handicap to “automatic” just to indicate to potential players that this game will have fair handicap, and then (since “automatic” isn’t really a useful setting for Rengo as the system will likely have no clue about what will fit the bill in the eyes of the players) adjust the handicap manually after everyone has arrived.
I guess another handicap type “manual” could be added to the list just to indicate this to other players instead of abusing the “automatic” label for this, but it’s not a biggie :).

3 Likes

there should be “Yes” or “No” in handicap column on /play page

1 Like

Good Idea again.
Hypothetically this removes flexibility but you’re right, it seems best, as virtually nobody would announce a “2 hc Rengo” game without knowing yet who will join =p. But many people might simply like even games in general.

So “Even game” indicates to all potential players that this won’t have HC while “Handicap” or maybe “Flexible” (or whatever it will be called) will indicate that the host will adjust HC after everyone has joined to make it balanced.

2 Likes

Only once it’s implemented properly

Not at all. There is a usual calculation based on the average level of each team. The result could be suggested by default, and the creator able to modify it (or leave it)

This is quite common way and popular, but maybe OGS will differ.
In my last live rengo players asked and we give a reverse komi, considering that handicap button didn’t work at all.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I understand this. If you can’t set a manual handicap while configuring the challenge, then that’s a bug.

If you can do that, then it is incorrect to say “it didn’t work at all”.

The “automatic handicap” option is now greyed out for rengo games.

3 Likes

I created and i couldn’t put an automatic handicap. (I don’t remember if grey out or just not available). I was not interested to select one manually in advance as i didn’t know who were going to join with which levels.
So yes sorry, it worked manually as i could have fix an handicap from the creation and hope that the players ranking will fit in some way.

Until we get edit-during-challenge, one thing you can do is make sure that the stronger players are on the team without the handcap, by moving the players around.

You can also reject any players who don’t fit into the goal you have for team makeup…

1 Like

Yes it helps a bit, but it’s still far from sufficient unless you build the teams first by chatting before creating.
When I create, I don’t really want a specific handicap (Even i would be confused to chose one) but to get the right handicap according to the players who joined, and kicking out someone because his level is not fitting.
Manual is ok if you made the teams in advance. In that case automatic still has the advantage to not determine it yourself (checking the levels of each, calculate it which is not completly trivial with kyu/dan scales and intervals, and memorize the result)
I hope you still keep motivation and time to bring us edit-during-challenge feature and that it will not be a too complex thing to implement

2 Likes

I sure hope it will be easier than “casual mode” :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Minor mobile layout issue:

• Icons much bigger than in normal games
  • Flags overlay the center of icons (I don’t think they are even supposed to show up on mobile)
3 Likes

🐬Sofiam🐬 is too strong. I couldn’t win against her.

(I’m pretty sure it wasn’t showing until yesterday).

9 Likes

Something to with you being on both teams in that rengo?

1 Like

What is rengo anyway ? as i can see from replies it’s more of a team style go right ?, i might want to try it. any tips for playing?

3 Likes

Yep. Team members take it in turns to play their team’s moves.

I’m not too experienced at it, but at its core, you’re still looking for good moves just like in normal go. When I’m the weaker player, I find it instructive to pay attention to what and where my partner is playing, and to try and support the objectives implied by those moves. When I’m the stronger player, I try to keep things simpler, with the extent depending on their strength. In either situation, I find that having a teammate is a positive pressure on me to take my time and play my best game. One can also pay attention to who will be answering your move and play accordingly.

5 Likes

how can i join or start a rengo game?

1 Like

There should be a checkbox for Rengo when creating an open challenge. As the creator, you can rearrange teams and kick players before the game starts. Or you can click join on an open challenge.

2 Likes