Rengo status

So maybe the most urgent is to setup casual mode, and then make another survey to check if consensus resign is still necessary.

1 Like

Consensus Resign makes sense as a feature for serious (non-casual) rengo.

2 Likes

Yes I know. On the other hand if you are to play serious rengo, then you probably trust your teammates not to resign randomly and at least use the chat to check if other members of the team agree (you generally don’t play serious rengo with complete strangers as partners).

3 Likes

Personally, I voted “consensus resign” and not “casual mode” because even though it has been proven to be useful, I don’t really like the idea of a clock for each player (it’s just a personal opinion, I’m not saying it’s bad). But it doesn’t make much sense, because expecting all people not to run out of time is not very different from expecting them not to click “resign”. Perhaps the difference is that (usually) you don’t lose by timeout intentionally, but nothing excludes this from happening.
I had thrown the other vote on “auto advance buggy” because it is the one I encounter most often, but it is solved in less than a second with a click, I am regretting it.
I’m changing it to casual mode, luckily I can :slight_smile: I think it is more useful.

4 Likes

Seems so - I clarified in the poll post.

2 Likes

Getting to vote is great!

isn’t consensus resign not particulary “resign troll” prove, since they can just stop playing and let everyones time run out?

1 Like

I don’t think playing a team game can be troll proof. One could even just troll by playing bad moves. It’s kind of the equivalent of team killing in other games.**

I think it’s more so a guard against someone changing their mind about playing the game than a troll. It could be that they no longer have time for the game, are not enjoying it, or they don’t think they can win etc and their team doesn’t necessarily agree. Then at least they can’t necessarily single handedly end the game for everyone.

I think having a player be able to gracefully drop out isn’t a bad idea if one wants such a thing enabled, probably useful combined with consensus resign. It makes sense in bigger games, and maybe one might want to turn it off in 2v2, unless one is interested if a single player can turn a losing game around.

Still maybe a similar “vote to kick player” could be a useful option combined with “consensus resign”, kind of complementary. Reasons to kick could be “this player isn’t playing or responding and is using up all the team time”, “this player is playing troll moves” (could be subjective, so not fault proof)**, “this player is discussing variations and we agreed not to”, “this player doesn’t want to play anymore but we don’t want to resign and it’s not casual mode” etc.

9 Likes

I think shinuito has nailed it: casual mode is for making sure that the game that you all waited to join does progress even if people just leave - either by disconnection or resign.

It can’t protect against people who join specifically to make trouble but it does make it possible for moderators to boot those without terminating the game (would need to be added as a separate thing, but at least possible).

And this is the way to defend against trolls: not “vote to kick” but “report and let moderation take place”.

8 Likes

Hm ,is it possible to adjust handicap/komi after people joined your game challenge?
Sorry if I’m just blind and missed it ^^
Explanation - I just opened a rengo challenge and we got a 17k so their team needed at least 3 hc, but I didn’t see how I could adjust it >_>

1 Like

I voted for both casual mode and consensus resign, because solving the “resignation issue” is my priority, and I think it would even make sense to have both in the same game: Every player may leave the game by resigning without ending the game for the others, and additionally a team may resign if a sufficient majority agrees that the game is lost.

5 Likes

vote for resign is for serious mode I guess
in casual mode: if at least 1 in both teams alive, game continues

3 Likes

I don’t view it as contradictory. The “single-player-resignation” and “team-concencus-resignation” can be independent of each other.

They are indeed independend: I think stone_defender was pointing out the same thing I was thinking, which is that concensus resign doesn’t help at all with the problem of players who just want to quit somehow before the game is over and rudely do it by resigning (instead of just as rudely disconnecting).

Concensus resign is for solving a more “technical” or “formal” go problem: an actual disagreement between the players on the team about whether the game is over.

2 Likes

Concensus resign is (to me) the team-equivalent of a normal resignation of the game. Consider for example a casual rengo game where resignation leads to one player dropping out, and no concensus resignation. The game proceeds as normal and after a big fight Team Black loses a huge group of stones and all their players agree that it is time to resign. Do they have to resign one-by-one?

2 Likes

I don’t even think it makes sense to call one person leaving a resignation. Seems more like “exit” or “leave” is more accurate. In fact, if it’s implemented, I would expect the UI to say something like “benjito has left the game” rather than “benjito resigned”

7 Likes

https://online-go.com/player/1078173/Mr%20BigBrother

I wonder, why is there word “rengo”

Just FYI: It is “consensus”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

While we’re changing C’s to S’s, I say we go all out and call it “sonsensus”

Since it feels like this is being overlooked for some reason, I’d like to mention this request again:

The means of creating a fair and even game: Being able to set handicap (and komi) based on the levels of the players who joined your Rengo offer.

Currently this doesn’t seem to be possible, if I’m not mistaken. You can only set handicap/komi before players actually join your game - but that is pointless if you don’t know yet who will actually join.

3 Likes

It’s written here:

3 Likes