Rengo: what to do about dropout / AFK players

This is just a subset of per-player clocks, in general, right?

Agreement for resign from your partner could be enforced. I saw multiple times cases where the stronger just take the decision on its own. A way is to replace the green button directly to a two step procedure for 2vs2. For more i find the more as 50% idea interesting.

1 Like

But how does this address AFK? In some ways it makes it worse, because you can’t cancel the game by resigning … you can’t get their agreement because they are AFK

I don’t see easy way for escaping, AFK… (Besides the annulation or a pause).
These are tremendous changes in a game that have to go through a renegotiation. To facilitate this is possible but with a lot of work you can not just give a pause power to the creator and come back to the make the team screen. You need a chat place or the ability to go search and talk in the site. The design we have lack a bit of flexibility so i think it’s complicated task.

Your own team can resign if it’s blocked like that

2 Likes

Resignation by consensus can still work with AFK players in live games. Just assume players agree to resign by default if they don’t click otherwise within a time limit (say a minute).

The same can be done for correspondence games but with a longer time limit.

2 Likes

It’s a bit different because with per turn timers, the entire team still shares a clock

Ah, I misunderstood your proposal. “Absolute Time” is a setting that means “you have this much time in total for the game”.

I think you are describing “Simple time”, with per-player clocks?

2 Likes

:bulb:

Isn’t that the answer?

If you want to be able to quickly time out your team members, use simple time - which by definition already will give you a clock per player, each turn.

1 Like

and in rengo everyone else suffers except the one who actually timeouted
so I got punishment idea: when someone timeouts in live rengo, they wouldn’t be able to join another live rengo until current rengo ends.

5 Likes

True, I like that.

(Note that, in addition, such people should be reported because this is just like abandonning any other game: needs moderator followup)

You didn’t click “like” on the “simple time” suggestion yet … is there a problem with it (at least until separate clocks per player for all time settings can be done)?

1 Like

what? I don’t have to press like even if I like.

I don’t understand your post about simple timer. This just 1 period byoyomi. Currently entire team timeouts when anyone timeouts for any reason

?

1 Like

If the simple timer setting could somehow be made to switch out unresponsive players rather than timeout the game, it could work maybe?

Simple timers are basically per player clocks that reset every turn.

2 Likes

LOL, no, I was asking for your assessment, whether you liked it.

You are abolutely right: I would have to make timeout to to the next player, but I would not have to also implement “per player clocks” in this scenario. Right?

The first thing is relatively easy, the second is a big unknown.

3 Likes

Simply being able to continue after a timeout would be a nice (regardless of shared/individual player clocks). I think the hardest question is “how much time is recovered after a player times out?” And maybe the answer is that it just resets, but it’s kind of a bummer if you’re in midgame and at full byoyomi main time

so your idea: when on simple timer someone timeouts, simple timer resets instead of ending game. Another one from team do move. Timeouted person no longer will be able to make move.

Same can be done with the last byoyomi period, it can just reset and be like simple timer until end of the game if someone timeouts.

with Fischer increment can be auto-activated instead of timeout, with other things same as above.

I’ve been a bit left behind but just to say that I’m with samraku. I don’t see the need to indulge people being afk in a live game. There is an expectation that people will stick around for a live game. We seem to making significant effort to enable “bad behaviour” here.

At least for 2 or 3 on a team I don’t think anything is needed. If someone escapes they’ve thrown their team under the bus by costing them the game. That’s just how it is and they should be reported. Or for correspondence I think that’s just how things are anyway.

For bigger numbers, I guess it’s just a different game and maybe some time settings work and others don’t. Maybe it could be called “TeamGo” or something to differentiate it. In these cases then the simple clock solution is probably fine. The only problem will be if teammates are not paying attention so much and expecting a number of other moves to be played before it gets round to them but suddenly they need to play.

At some point many players becomes impractical anyway (live) doesn’t it? 30s per move implies a 2hr game. For 10 players per side you need to be on standby for up to 10 minutes to catch your 30s slot to play. Just sounds like chaos to me regardless of what happens to AFKers.

3 Likes

I see it a bit differently.

There are two parts to resolving bad behaviour:

1. Policing and reformation
  2. Mitigating the effects

Here we are aiming to mitigate the effects of inevitable bad behaviour. Not “enable”.

They are already quite able :slight_smile:

Unlike escapers in regular games, rengo escapers are both more frequent, and more impactful.

At least if someone escaped your 1v1 game you get the win.

That is not the case when your partner bails in rengo … and in “anonymous rengo” (playing with randoms) this has been seen to happen immediately it went live and ongoing so far.

All of this does not mean that Policing and Reformation should be dropped. On the contrary, I already noted in this discussion that escape from a Rengo game is like escape from any other: please report it and the escaper will be on their road to three strikes and you are out.

That doesn’t help the poor people in the meantime stuck waiting for an AFK person in a Rengo game…

One could well argue that this will settle down once the tire-kickers move on. It might … but folk have presented evidence that Rengo games time out all the time. This means that process (of timing out Rengo games) needs to be the best it can for those involved.

4 Likes

I’m fine with a soft approach as long as its optionnal, for fun and large games like the one created by Sofia.

However we should keep the current mechanism for more normal rengo games.

Two options (fun/serious) shouldn’t be too much option overload.

5 Likes

Samraku is on the side of having both choices

I think you underestimate how often it really happens with even 2 people on a team and how long you need to wait again to get team again

2 Likes

Ok maybe I should have said “encourage”. We are saying don’t worry about sticking around for a whole game, you can leave whenever and we’ll sort it out.

But I can see that pragmatically we should probably do something anyway.

That’s probably right. And also I’m not familiar with how the lobby works for live games. I suppose if you navigate away you are automatically dropped from live game challenges which have not started. So I’m assuming that for a game to start everyone is there (or at least has tabs open…) After which point I think we should encourage commitment to the game.

What about a pop up if leaving a like game? I know pop ups are bad but maybe justified in this case “you are about to ruin a game for X people. Leave anyway/keep playing?” (And obvs if they choose leave then an auto report can be raised…)

But sure a serious setting and a casual setting, why not.

And I do like the idea of blocking AFKers from joining other games until then one they were in is finished.

2 Likes