Reporting: A guide to making good use of the ‘Call moderator’ and ‘Report’ functions

Works for me :woman_shrugging:

There should be “report problem” button where you don’t report game or someone.
Problem with OGS itself, not sort of to write in forum just was discovered.
And I had no choice but to click “report” on someone - its weird.

4 Likes

Up till now we’ve used Chat for that - moderators tend to be in English and/or Help.

2 Likes

Definitely you have more chance in Help than in English, though.

3 Likes

Wow, that is certainly unobvious. I think i would have reported myself for that maybe. I’ve only been to chat a few times, found it makes no sense and left.

1 Like

Do you mean Help made no sense? That would be surprising.

I would have thought Help is a good place to get Help in real time about things that are wrong with OGS…

3 Likes

In Help channel everyone see your message while you may wish to keep it secret from normal users. And there certainly much less attention of mods to messages in chat than to report messages.

no report button on yourself exist, which is stupid. What if problem is with your own account or profile?

3 Likes

No I meant chat makes no sense. But I assume that’s just a symptom of my age…

Ha! Shows how often I’m on the main site!

If you need to contact the OGS team privately about a general issue (for example, a security bug that you don’t want to make public) you can always use the email address listed on About - Online Go Forum

In the event of a critical issue or urgent matter affecting this site, please contact us at contact@online-go.com.

6 Likes

True, but again not obvious. Maybe there should be a single obvious way to call a moderator for help with something other than a game or another person, e.g. “call for help” button in main menu with symbol same as “call moderator” button in games? :man_shrugging:

This wouldn’t work. People, mostly new users, would flood it with general queries that can easily be answered by Help chat, FAQ, doco or forums. It may be worth reviewing your suggestion when OGS has a fully staffed 24hr call center.

5 Likes

Well, if it ever went “your call is important to us, is it plugged it, please call back all lines are busy” I would drop OGS like a stalker ex.

2 Likes

But like a stalker ex, OGS would not drop you :wink: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

But yeah, fair point. Maybe the “call for help” button in the main menu could just go to help chat?

I would advise everyone to stay as far away as possible, all the same :stuck_out_tongue:

in game report button disappeared?

4 Likes

I think addressed here

1 Like

I think it may be emerging we need the button in that menu though.

For example, I don’t think I will think of looking into reporting my opponent if I want to ask a moderator to handle a score dispute, or annull a game?

9 Likes

I am confused about this function. I have used it a few times, but the experience is not very good.
I would like to know what kind of situations can I use it?

Here’s how I called the moderator a few times:

1. I close my territory, but my opponent doesn’t. (At this point I had won 93.5 points.)
    I keep passing, but the opponent does not close his own territory. (Of course, no Pass)
    He just kept filling my territory with dead stones, filling dame, and filling his own with stones.
    The opponent continued to move for more than 40 meaningless actions, and the border was finally closed! (In the middle, I made some mistakes that caused the opponent’s dead stone to survive, so I only won 3.5 points, but I still won.)
    But opponents continue to do so. (Don’t pass, fill dead stone or fill himself.)
    I called the moderator and the moderator gave me the response: “The moderator ruled that both territories need to be closed. The player has the right to move on until the territory is closed. I think if you respond to his actions, the game will end faster (However, at this time, the territories of both sides have obviously been closed, but the moderator has not made a judgment?)”
    Finally, I finally waited for the opponent to pass, and the game entered the scoring stage, but… things are not over yet!
    See 2 next.

2. I press Auto Score and confirm the result.
    The opponent does not confirm the result and leaves the game.
    Since this is a corresponding game, I need to wait 7 days.
    During this time, I found that he was playing other corresponding games with me, but did not confirm the result of this game.
    I waited a few hours (or a day? I forgot.) and I called the moderators again.
    This time the moderator told me: “There is currently no reason for the moderator to intervene. Please don’t be so impatient! Players have the right to confirm the death of the stone before the end of the scoring period.”
    Well, it’s my problem this time, I’ll keep waiting…
    Things are not over yet, see 3.

3. Two days later, the other party finally confirmed the score, but it showed that the result was a loss of 4.5 points? ? ?
    Before scoring, I clearly won by 3.5 points. When scoring, I pressed Auto Score and it showed that I won by 3.5 points. Why did I lose 4.5 points?
    I call the moderator again.
    The moderator told me: “The other party changed the state of the dead stone 4 seconds after you confirmed the result. This should be a bug. But I’m sorry, the game cannot be resumed, it can only be canceled.”
    Hmm… well, there is really no way for moderators to change the result after confirming the score.
    I understand that the moderator’s authority is only so.
    But, it feels so bad!
    I reported this player three times! (In fact, at 1, I had a hunch that something bad was going to happen to me, and it did.)

4. This time it is other corresponding games.
    A player continues to play after being more than 80 points behind, at which point the game is approaching 200 moves.
    The opponent threw dead stones into my territory, and since the territory was not closed, the opponent did not commit a foul. (This is what the moderator of 1 told me, I remember.)
    In order to avoid the tragedy of 1 (a win of 93.5 points becomes a win of 4.5 points), I responded to the opponent’s move.
    After dozens of moves, the territories of both sides are finally closed!
    The opponent still dropped dead stones into my territory after the territory was closed, I responded to him a few times, and then the opponent filled his own territory.
    So I press Pass.
    The opponent ignores it and continues to fill his own territory.
    So I pressed Pass and called the moderator.
    I waited patiently for hours. I see the report count from 1 to 0.
    However, nothing happened.
    This time, I didn’t even get any response to tell me why.
    So, what should I do?

This is what I experienced in OGS using Call Moderator.
    I doubt this feature of calling moderators is really useful?
    I reported a total of four times and never got the results I wanted.

3 Likes

For any game, we consider the game finished only after all territory has been closed, and in particular all borders are settled. This is because the scoring phase doesn’t work before that, because territory can’t be assigned properly.

Hence, passing instead of resigning is not a way to indicate a game is finished, unless the borders are actually closed already. Even if the opponent passes as well, the scoring won’t be able to happen properly without actual borders. Judging by the moderator’s response, this was the case when you passed.

Now, as for playing on even while behind, this is totally fine (ETA: assuming the player is doing so not with the purpose of annoying an opponent). There is no rule of Go forcing you to resign when you’re behind. A losing player can resign when they want, but if they want to finish the game until it’s ready for scoring, then they are allowed to do so. It’s not rude, it’s just how the game works.

As for accepting the score, in correspondence games we have the difficulty that some players are not aware of the game being in scoring phase, because it does not show up when using the button in the top right, that cycles through the games. But, since the game is correspondence, this doesn’t really matter so much, speed isn’t really a factor. Hence, we do not consider it a form of escaping. Of course, if an opponent abuses this to mark incorrect stones just before the timer runs out, then we do consider that a form of cheating, which will be answered with either a warning or a ban.

I realise that you had bad experiences with reporting, but please do keep reporting games where you feel unjustly treated (although perhaps keep the above in mind)

As for point 4, something went wrong there, we’re supposed to keep the reporter updated. I’ll look into it after getting home (20 minutes)

2 Likes