"Request was throttled" when sending out > 10 game challenges

I am admin of an OGS group. We have 40-50 members. This is a real-life Go club. We are a university society, so we have a lot of transient members, i.e. students who join for a year but then move away and stop playing Go. So, our OGS group membership has many inactive members, which is not so useful for active members to find people to play with in real life. Therefore, I would like to clear out the member list to remove inactive members. The problem is, it’s difficult to determine who is active / inactive. My idea was, I will challenge everyone on the list to an OGS game, and those that don’t respond within a month get removed. However, once I reached 10 challenges (within about a minute) I could not send an 11th. When I tried I got the message “request was throttled”. Can one of the @moderators tell me please, is this a hard limit (i.e. max 10 open challenges at a time), or a limit per unit time (i.e. max 10 new challenges per day / minute / hour) and if so what are the details of the limit please? Thanks :pray::blush:

I had a quick squiz, it appears that this kind of request is throttled in “per minute”, so by the time you read this, you should be good again :smiley:

Hmm - that message that you got, for a challenge, is wierd, I’m still digging.
If you could elaborate on how you’re “sending the challenge” and whether that’s the exact message, that’d be great.

Hah!

So the good news is that the throttle rate is 10 per minute.

The bad news is that the maximum outstanding direct challenges that you are allowed to have is 10 :laughing:

5 Likes

Haha! Ok, at least I know now. Thanks for looking. That should be fine. I might have to reduce the wait time to a week rather than a month. No bites yet…

1 Like

You could potentially make this a team effort. Only takes 4 or 5 “challengers” to cover your whole club!

3 Likes

Yes, good idea. We have 5 admins, so I’ll get them to send out some challenges too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: I wonder why we have a limit of 10 direct correspondence challenges :face_with_monocle:

I guess we don’t want folk spamming the whole community with challenges, but I can imagine legitimate reasons for wanting to challenge a bunch of people for an actual game (separate from this odd use-case).

Is 10 a bit restrictive? I guess one answer would be “no-one’s complained all this time, so it must be OK” :smiley:

1 Like

Well it’s open pending direct challenges not games… so you can send more once one is accepted or rejected, or you can cancel one yourself to challenge another. Seems unusual right? :thinking:

Hang on, we’re talking direct-challenges here, I’m pretty sure.

It specifically is direct challenges that have a limit of “10 concurrent at any time” (if I am reading it right, not actually guaranteed :laughing: )

1 Like

Yeah… so you can have active games and open challenges AND up to 10 pending direct challenges. Seems ample :man_shrugging:

I see I misspoke in my previous comment. Thanks for the clarification. I edited my last post to avoid confusion.

Off topic, but hot button :grin: It’s not that you misspoke. You were mistaken about the topic. :wink:

Geez I hate the euphamism “misspoke”. Like “my mouth made a typo, oops”. :woman_facepalming:

(Not intended as an attack on you, rather an attack on this ridiculous twist of the language!)

1 Like

No I did use the wrong word. I wrote open as a synonym to pending, forgeting that it is also its own category of game challenge.

1 Like

Ah! Then I stand corrected, and apologise for my mistake, my misunderstanding.

But I still hate that phrase, more commonly used as a way of avoiding saying “I made a mistake” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I think I see where you’re coming from. I personally try to err on the side of language being tricky and the person realising the word they chose wasn’t the best to convey their meaning. I’m not sure I would call it a “mistake” as to me that implies there was always only one correct word to use and they chose the wrong one. I find language a bit more fluid and situational. Especially in a text only environment.

That said, I have certainly seen what you describe. People thinking they can just say “I misspoke” when actually they said exactly what they meant and don’t want to admit they were wrong.

2 Likes