Review for corr game

who is Paul bros?

Two stains on social media, you arenā€™t missing much.

Wow, Iā€™m a nerdy kid! LOL! I supposed I once was. That was a long long time ago!

Do note that there have been big changes in how US society perceives geeks since ā€œThe revenge of the nerdsā€, especially in younger generations.
Even 10 years ago, 57% of all Americans and 66% of younger Americans (age 18-34) considered geek a compliment. 44% of all Americans would prefer to be called a geek, while only 22% would prefer to be called a jock.
Geeky people tend to be respected for being intelligent and tech-savvy, both of which qualities have become more important factors for success in recent decades. So in a way, geeky is the new cool.

That may be true. I think the twist is that if you intend a compliment, you say ā€œgeekā€, wheras if you intend not so complimentary, you say ā€œnerdā€. They arenā€™t equivalent in status :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not a US citizen, so I donā€™t know the finer details of the distinction between nerds and geeks, but I think it comes down to social skills? A geek can be socially obnoxious, but a nerd would be socially awkward?

And now the question is: how do social skills of go players compare to the average geek?

1 Like

My impression is that at least the average go player tends to have better social skills than the average chess player, though there is a wide variety in both groups.

Of the go players that I have had at least some social interaction with IRL, most had social skills that I would consider normal or even quite good. I would consider only a smaller minority (10-20%?) to be socially challenged (but I could be biased). I suppose some of those may have been diagnosed with some form of mild autism.

Friendly neighborhood reminder that this is a game-review thread

1 Like

Sorry for making the discussion deviate. To come back to the original question: the beginning of the game shows many very bad shapes, scattered stones with many cutting points. As the game progresses, shapes seem to be improving but there is still room for improvement. For instance move 201 should be at B5 (avoid ripped keima).

Another big issue is wasted moves, like move 219 which connects groups which are already connected, or move 189 which connects groups which donā€™t need to be connected.

And also very small moves. For instance, how much is worth move 195? Can you find bigger moves on the board?

4 Likes