Review for won game 16k v 14k

I was hoping to get a review or two on this won game. (I know that a lot of people dislike doing reviews on won games)

I’m mainly looking to know what my opponent’s biggest mistakes were and how I could have played better and or how my opponent could have punished my mistakes more.

If any of you would be willing to give it a quick look over I’d be eternally grateful :grinning:

Edit: eternally might be a bit of a stretch, but I’ll be grateful nonetheless :sweat_smile:

W10 seems a bit passive – we have one pro game for this position, where White played D10 (http://ps.waltheri.net/database/game/77647/). I generally find that the weaker you are the harder it is to use the split.

W12 is a semi-joseki popular in the 19th century. It’s said to be a bit worse for White locally if Black invades at C3 (see Waltheri for vars.) Then again, it’s a little closer to the undefended wall than the normal response so that could be relevant.

W16 is usually at E3 – eg. E3, D2 E4, E2 B3. This sequence is more critical of Black’s shape, encouraging him to play a gote defence at H3 at some point. If White wants sente he can use B4 – eg. B4, B3 C4, E2. I think this would be fairly strong considering White’s longer C7 extension.

B17: I think the “honte” move is E2 to make a more defined eyeshape.

B19 is arguably a little slow since Black has a forcing move at B2 for more eyespace, and can still jump into the centre.

It’s hard to say how best to respond to White’s 3-3 invasion of the lower right. I think there are a number of different reasonable strategies.

W38 is overplay. I would recommend tenuki’ing either to invade trhe left side (eg. D10) , build the bottom side (eg. E6), or strengthen the corner with G17.

B53 is slow – attacking the left (eg. C13) or the right (eg. R12) are big.There follow a few more slow moves by both players.

B63 is probably a little too close – see previous comment.

At B73 you have to first atari at B13 to prevent White connecting.

W84 is sound. B85, though, allows White to first descend to B18 – if Black stubbornly blocks at A17 then White can cut at D18.

The endgame is not that interesting to me.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Your comments here and on gokibitz always provide such valuable insights. I wanted to put this one up on gokibitz, but it seems to be having issues today

2 Likes

Happy to help :3

1 Like

heres a review :).

i mostly copied what @bugcat said into a review :stuck_out_tongue:.

link:https://online-go.com/review/425964

1 Like

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

I appreciate you both!

1 Like