Review Request 10k vs 8k

Hello everyone,

Usually, at my level (10-12kyu), games are often decided by big dying groups. Even if there are lots of other mistakes in the games to point out, it’s easy to just think “well, I’d won if I read this part better”. But not this time.

I just played this game: https://online-go.com/game/view/9735129

All I can say is that was… rather peaceful. I feel like I played a couple of slow moves at key timings but I don’t know what I could really do differently. Can someone help me ?

I pointed out my questions in my own review here:

Thank you !

i made a short review and added some variations to yours :). i dont think your yose was all that bad. your midgame decisions on the other hand need work. making bad exchanges cost you the game after you had set yourself up for a nice victory with a very good early game. good luck!

3 Likes

Hello kickaha,

Thank you so much for taking the time ! I went through your review and probably will again a few more times to get a grasp on everything.

I now realize how bad was the pushy pushy sequence. On the moment, I thought that was making excellent 6 line territory…

The most eye opening move was your variation of move 41 on N15. I always fail to consider these moyo borders moves. Why not O5 or the cap at O6 for exemple ? Wouldn t it be the same idea ? Why north and not south ?

In short : how “big” are these kind if moves ? I am currently going through “mastering the basics” and I always fail at these border moves. I learnt that the fundamentals are these following priorities:

1. Your own weak groups
  2. Your opponent’s weak groupes
  3. Big move (with corner>side>center)

Your appreciation that my fuseki was OK conforts me that I dont get it backwards.

But where do these border moves fall ? Imagine my opponent had a hoshi left alone on top left. Is it bigger to kikashi ? Or play N15 ?

Sorry for the long reply and thanks again !

you were making 6th line territory in a sense, but 3 of those 6 lines were already yours to begin with :slight_smile:. additionally the direction the pushing was going was very bad, because there was no more potential on the left side.

i guess this is a pretty hard question :slight_smile:. after all every move you will ever play is a direct result of answering it. in this case it was very good for both players to get a move in the general area, thats what made N15 “big” (bigger than O6 for example).

if a kakari (approach; from the context i think you meant that) in the top left corner was still possible at the time then normally thats an option (as by the rule corners, sides, centre). N15 in this game was a centre move. (but it would be an entirely different game, which means the area around N15 might be unimportant. case by case is the only real way to decide on a move.)

1 Like

Thanks again for your precious answers !

I see, O6 was less big because it didn’t work so well with the western white stones… Even if it was “kinda miai” for black.

Well, i know there is no golden rule to follow :stuck_out_tongue: too bad, us DDKs would be happy to follow it ! After all, i know a dan player who poops all day on DDKs because they “dont understand at all the basics” but… yeah ! If only it was that easy :slight_smile:

1 Like

The simple answer is that north was bigger (F-Q is wider than E-O). White also just extended the F side to the fifth line. If you delay another move at 41, White may extend the Q side and box off fifth-line territory over half the board. That said, it was also big to push and cut at J4 but for different reasons, ie. severing a weak group.

1 Like

Thanks for these precisions ! This community is so great…