Review Request (19x19 12k vs 14k)

Here’s some variations.

I…may have gotten carried away making variations, but I think I got the general idea across. You could take all of the hanes in sente, since your opponent doesn’t have big enough reduction threats. Later, when your opponent plays all of the hanes, you could probably have taken one of them, since only the first hane your opponent played threatened a big reduction.

Basically, if your opponent hanes under your stones, you can either block, leaving him with sente, or you can hane under his stones. Both players are threatening a reduction, now, and whoever is threatening the smaller reduction should back off and defend. If your opponent threatens, then you threaten, and your opponent needs to respond to that, you get in one of the hanes for free. You then need to go back and defend the original hane, so your opponent keeps sente, but doesn’t get all of the points. It’s a 4 point difference from letting your opponent have both hanes in sente.

Well, that’s a simplified version. There’s a variation buried in my review where you play a reduction, then immediately defend when your opponent expands his reduction, and end up with the same points (roughly) as if your opponent had gotten both reductions, but you end in sente. That would’ve been good for you.

2 Likes