Review request (and a review of my own review) of a 9x9 game (beginner)

Hi.
I’m a beginner and I just played a game and I was looking for some advice about it.
The game is here, https://online-go.com/game/29556802, I was playing Black.

After the game, I reviewed it and this is my analysis.

• For me, my biggest mistake was to play A6 at move 41 instead of C4. I captured a stone, lost one, reduced my territory by two, but more importantly, I left a giant weakness in B3 which could have led to the capture of the whole group.
    My opponent didn’t see it, but that would have been a fatal blow in my opinion.
  • Maybe less important, but I think I saw that the group in the top left corner was dead too late, I stopped escaping at move 39 but I think White stone at move 30 killed it.
    Maybe I should have played B6 at move 27 to connect.

Am I correct? Do I miss some other important things?
Thanks (^_^)

I put some comments in the game chat. If you like a teaching game, let me know.

To the move D2 you played very well, it’s amazing for a beginner and I like that you researched your failures by yourself too, before asking for advices.

Then you made some common beginners mistakes. The most important is to try to not forget the goal. For each of your moves you have to decide what is the biggest to play and be able to change place.

E1 makes sense but is far too small it’s only 1 point, if white continue this way then you block, it’s still very solid so you can take opportunity to play somewhere else.

When white try to push through then at D5 it’s supra important to block at C5 and maintain your stones together, it’s a “cut-connect” thing which is the most interesting especially when you start playing go.

The game get really bad for you when white push through. Confused fighting, normal when discovering but when white captures your stones, game over .

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

E1 makes sense but is far too small it’s only 1 point, if white continue this way then you block, it’s still very solid so you can take opportunity to play somewhere else.

I see. So in this case, I should have been the one to play D5 and connect my two groups instead of E1? I might have lost a point but I would have had a larger territory worth much more. Am I right?

Looks like not connecting these two groups was my fundamental mistake of this game.

Absolutely, play 20 points moves before 1 point will help you win.

There are many ways to follow, alternative thinking that may help:

One way is to go from big to small you know already
One way is to try to keep the most liberties. Don’t screw up your liberties.
One way is a medium way, erase the stupidity. I mean you can’t waste any move, it’s too costly. We can enlarge that way in the way to maximize efficiency.

Many ways to explore, have fun!

1 Like

Thanks for your comments.

If you like a teaching game, let me know.

This will be a pleasure.

Okay, let’s do it !
Send me a challenge (correspondence, 13x13, analysis on).