Review requested

I don’t know what to take away from this, it felt completely random. Any pointers?

2 Likes

Warning: the following reply is probably completely useless as I only play 19x19. Consider yourself advised.

I don’t really have much to say since I don’t really understand the strategy behind 9x9, but I’d have preferred to see you protect your corners and sides more than focusing on the middle of the board since it’s much more efficient to make points there.

For example, when white came on top of you at the 4-4 on his first move, seems like it would have been pretty standard to block at either D7 or C6.

Take that with a grain of salt though. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to set me straight shortly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The game looks random to me too. You don’t seem to know how to “move” or “walk” your stones in Go. It’s about time to introduce the concept.

Think about the object of Go—you have to control the most territory by game end. To control the most territory, your stones must develop into walls that surround empty points. The most basic way to develop your stones is to add more stones, one point at a time. The Japanese term for this is “nobi.” In English, we say “stretch” or “push” or “extend.” No matter what you call it, you can imagine the stones “walking,” a kind of motion, when you play it. It’s just like when you walk—you put your foot forward and take a step. This is like nobi. And when you take steps in turn—left, right, left, right—it’s like playing nobi, nobi, nobi, nobi. This “moves” your group forward. Even though the stones don’t actually change locations on the board, we still call it “movement.” It extends the reach of your stones, increases your liberties, and makes territory on one side of the wall.

So I advise you to start taking your stones on a walk. For example, on White’s first move (move 5 in the game), you played e5. This is not movement. Notice that the AI suggested d7. Even the AI wants to take this stone on a walk! This will make territory on the eighth and ninth lines above that group. So don’t just take my word for it. Make your stones go walking.

6 Likes

I’'ll have you know you noticed the same thing as a 5 dan. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:
I really should focus on that. I’ll check my other games, too, to see how I could do better.

3 Likes

Oh good. I was bracing to see how my logic was flawed.

I really like this walking analogy. I always visualize my stones as moving and flowing, but I have never thought to explain it as walking. Probably much easier to visualize! I have been teaching my cousin a bit, and he doesn’t really seem to understand what I mean when I talk about moving his group. I’ll try this way next time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

mark knows his kageyama :smiley:

“the stones go walking” is chapter three of lessons in the fundamentals of go. its not mentioned in every book recommendation thread for nothing :slight_smile:.

2 Likes