Rookie here

a quick way for new players to get some ranked games.

starts in 6 days
Clock starts with 3 days and increments by 1 day per move up to a maximum of 1 week.

quick?

3 Likes

I new to go I know the basic I am self taught with only the booklet the game has and what I found on you tube as my guide I still enjoy the game what few games I played I can tell that this is very addicted game I’m already hooked never was hell bent on winning any game I played I found all my go stones so I can play once again I think the cat had a lot to do with it she dissapered when the game came crashing down I seen her bolt out the room there was the go game stones among the shreaded tolite paper

3 Likes

Hey Old Dirty Feet

I’ve been writing up a manual for beginners where I try to introduce various aspects of the game, and then link them together. Hopefully, this will help you understand some of these concepts better and apply them in your games:

Introduction: Making Sense of Go

Part 1: Sente and Gote

Part 2: Settling Your Stones

Part 3: Playing a Balanced Opening

If you like those, you will find the other 2 articles here. I’m currently working on the next article (Shape) and hope to have it finished in the next few weeks.

OGS Community Resources

I suggest you this topic

1 Like

I suggest this topic Rookie here and some punctuation :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe also this one: Is there a video series for terrible beginners?

Just wondering why anybody would want to do that. If you want to win all the time, just play an AI that is rated as low.

1 Like

AI can’t feel pain

1 Like

Ah, you’re saying that there are people who think that those who lose are injured by losing? That’s weird. Is go a game of balance or of war?

This is the first step of what we call sandbagging. You may be surprised but this is a reality on all go servers. Some players try to be underrated to keep control of the victory against a normally rated opponent.
Mods have a hard job fighting sandbagging and It’s one of their main occupation.

Three days in, it’s demonstrating why I wanted a larger tournament:

So, new idea. Start with a Single Elimination or McMahon tournament, and invite all the new players. Everyone who plays at least 1 move there gets invited to a private Round Robin.

4 Likes

How do you figure out who the new members are? I have yet to find a member list, the closest I’ve found is the ladders, and those aren’t compulsory…

1 Like

Every player has a sequential ID that you can see in the URL of their player page. By experimentally trying URLs with higher and higher numbers until I start getting errors, I can discover the newest player, and then work backwards from there.

But actually, that’s kind of slow, so in this case I started at the ID of the OP @Old_dirty_feet and went up. I used API URLs and a little script to determine the usernames to invite.

5 Likes

I see! That’s some dedication there XD
If I haven’t lost my provisional rank by then, I would be interested in an invite, if I could~

3 Likes

I set up a tournament the other day, round robin, the default number of players was 4-100. In the end I only wanted max 7 players so I didn’t test leaving it at 100. But if this is the default, surely it’s valid. Why do you think round robin is limited to 10?

FTR, a round robin with 100 players (99 games simultaneously!) would be brutal! :exploding_head:

The technical reason is probably “that is how the system is designed.” The underlying reason, I suspect, is because tournaments tend to take a very long time. and the more players, the longer it takes. See The neverending story uhuhu uhuhu uhuhu for some nightmare stories.

There is no master list accessible to non-moderators. Besides, there are over a million accounts, and a significant proportion of them are alt accounts or dead accounts (banned or abandoned).

So it is true that round robins are max 10 players? Weird that the default is 100 then :laughing:

2 Likes

This might twist your melon…

2 Likes

That’s weird, when I set up this tournament I couldn’t get more than 10…

1 Like

You didn’t try hard enough! :wink:

S_Alexander did many amazing things that aren’t available through standard options.

5 Likes