Safari sound problem

I am using Safari browser MacOS (BigSur 11.3). Everything is mute on OGS for the past week. When I click on Master Volume (or any other) play button in sound preferences nothing can be heard. This is very problematic when I play blitz games. Is there any way to fix this problem? Thank you.

2 Likes

I experience the same.

same for me. deleting cookies doesn’t help, allowing auto-play media for OGS does neither. discovered issue yesterday.

Is it a solved problem now?

Still no changes. I have contacted one of the developers, but there was no response.

Same for me.

@anoek

Sorry for the delay

What version of Safari is being used?

Can one of you open up the JavaScript console and check and see if there are any error messages?

Use the developer tools in the Develop menu in Safari on Mac - Apple Support on how to get the developer toolbar option

Thanks!

2 Likes

Good to know sound is working on your Safari - for those that sound does not work, are you using the same version as @shinuito or a different version? How do your console error messages look?

The sentry errors should be benign, I’m working on those too - but that’s not a sound thing, that’s a system I use to collect error messages… which is unfortunately erroring out after an upgrade… :disappointed:

3 Likes

I am using Safari Version 14.1 (16611.1.21.161.3).

1 Like

And I also have some errors like this in Developer Console:

2 Likes

Someone who had the problem, could you try now and see if the problem is still there?

1 Like

Still does not work on my iMac in Safari (Version 14.1).
(Mac OS Big Sur 11.3.1)

1 Like

Still the same. Nothing has changed.

1 Like

Hi Anoek, I appreciate how rapidly you respond to users encountering problems, thank you. I see no errors in the Java console, and the sound still does not work on safari.

1 Like

I found that the underlying audio library that we use had an update that addressed something in Safari 14, so I updated - did that happen to fix it?

1 Like

I’m afraid I’m still having no sound for stone placement (I hear “game started” – can’t recall if that was working previously). Maybe others with this problem can chime in as well?

1 Like

I’ve also been having sound placement issues over the past few days (Latest version of Firefox on Windows 10).

1 Like

I’m still seeing no sound in Safari

(Version 14.1 (16611.1.21.161.6))

I do see the “sound should now work” messages in the console, but no errors whatsoever, even after playing stones. I’m running MacOS Big Sur 11.3.1.

Sound is working in Firefox on the same machine.

1 Like

Ok this should be fixed. It turns out that 14.1 introduced webm format support, or at least some rendition of support. Whatever their implementation is, it doesn’t play our .webm audio files that the other browsers play.

I added a special case for Safari to continue using the .mp3 variants that we have for all other versions of Safari.

5 Likes