Saving analysis

When I play through some hypothetical lines in a correspondence game, can I save them for future reference? How?

I can see that I can name the variation and the name becomes a clickable link in the chat window (which is private in my case). That link is permanent. But when I log out and then I come back, open the game and click on the link, the board only indicates the first move of the variation. How can I recall the whole tree I played through?

Download the sgf to your computer and do the analysis there. That’s what I did when I played correspondence.

Are you at the end of the variation when you “name” it?

You do need to be :slight_smile:

The “node” that you are on is what gets named, and all the nodes leading up to it are saved as well.

3 Likes

Normally I do this, it saves the whole sequence.

Capture d'Ă©cran 2024-05-13 102208

3 Likes

^^ yes, that’s what I mean too - I guess that’s what they meant be “name the variation”?

The important thing is that you have to be at the end move of the variation.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m quite sure that was my mistake. Although, far from obvious. Any form of documentation for that?

–
Ian

This is my first reaction too. Sadly, I can’t find a currently maintained and reasonably packaged local e-goban for GNU/Linux. (If you’re at all interested in continuing this subthread, I can provide the longish list of all I tried.)

–
Ian

I usually use CGoBan 3 to edit SGF files locally.
It’s not currently maintained, but does that matter when it does its job?

1 Like

If you use Chrome there’s the webgoban extension to bypass OS troubles by doing it in-browser but with access to the file system.

I usually use CGoBan 3 to edit SGF files locally.

Java.

It’s not currently maintained, but does that matter when it does its job?

Maybe it does something else (unpleasant) too?

–
Ian

If you use Chrome

No, but I’ll take a look to see how it is done. Maybe it can be ported to firefox without too much effort.

–
Ian

1 Like