Score seems weird, did I miss a border?

What the title says. I think I lost with more than that, but when I tried to accept autoscore I got the picture below

I couldn’t mark anything.

It’s probably something obvious and I’m too tired to notice, but I thought I’d ask.

3 Likes

I don’t think you missed something.

2 Likes

The autoscore struggles to score big games or games with too many moves sometimes. In those cases please try to mark the dead stones manually, even if it is not always easy.

2 Likes

Estimate score gives this …

20,5 difference.

3 Likes

Weakest point could be black W22 (or around) but i think white can connect and kill black anyway.

It wouldn’t let me and we had passed twice already, I didn’t want to annoy my opponent for no reason so I didn’t try more.

1 Like

Yes, estimation looks good.

1 Like

Yes I know it happened to me several times :frowning: Feel free to call a moderator if you can’t mark the stones correctly.

1 Like

@anoek could this be caused by the latest fix? Goban bump to fix slow stone group toggling in stone removal phase by anoek · Pull Request #2100 · online-go/online-go.com · GitHub

1 Like

It’s an older thing.

1 Like

How can W kill B in the upper right, I don’t see it.

Edit: oh wait you mean an invasion. I thought you meant my S23 group.

W will care first on the upper right after black add a move, to have life. W right side have more space.and will.live too.
Black will miss enough space to live.

On the board that’s the only not completly obvious place where something may be tried. Maybe adding a stone there could trigger the counting?

My guess would be that if the autoscore uses Katago and Katago is only meant to be used on 9x9, 13x13 or 19x19 then it should probably default back to an old autoscoring system for other sizes.

Maybe it isn’t doing that?

2 Likes

That’s my thought too, although @Atorrante 's post seems like a counter point?

But maybe Estimate Score intelligently falls back to something that Auto-Score doesn’t.

1 Like

That would make sense since it already has to do that for players in game vs spectators vs end of games etc

2 Likes

KataGo works for any board size though. Any evidence that OGS only uses it for the ranked board sizes?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it uses AI for other sizes, at least the smaller ones, since you can step through and get accurate-seeming score estimates after the game.

It doesn’t look very happy with this 25x25 game though, even at the beginning. So it probably isn’t about open borders.

2 Likes

There’s this sort of a check in score estimator code, between a compiled score estimator locally and a remote call by the looks of it, but I don’t understand the details. You can see there’s a check for sizes bigger than 19 though.

In the estimate score remote function there’s a comment saying

so it makes me think that the remote one is probably katago+ unless there’s some fall back method, and the local one is random playouts and flood fill and things.

I guess we also have

I probably misremembered then about other non standard board sizes.

4 Likes

I dont think size >19 is a limit for KataGo anymore.

3 Likes