Seeking debug information from those with blank screen problems

the last 24 hours i’ve been able to play on safari. chat still doesn’t work, and some other oddness.

even though I keep at least two browsers running for other reasons, thanks for paying attention to this

1 Like

Interesting. What version of OX X, Safari are you using? Also, what AV or security suite?

I’ve been getting Can’t Establish Secure Connection since original update. Just now, after the recent update alert, I tried again and got a blank white page. Not sure if that is progress. The error console contains the following. I think the first line is new. Maybe that is the progress.

[Log] Welcome to OGS (online-go.com, line 228)
[Error] Failed to load resource: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “cdn.online-go.com” which could put your confidential information at risk. (ogs.5.1-54-g846a273.js, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “cdn.online-go.com” which could put your confidential information at risk. (en.e4a801d5ba76ad1b21efdd67d22f7ebf.js, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “cdn.online-go.com” which could put your confidential information at risk. (OGSScoreEstimator-0.5.js, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “cdn.online-go.com” which could put your confidential information at risk. (ogs.5.1-54-g846a273.css, line 0)

When I click on the first line, this (an excerpt containing line 228) section of code is displayed:

< script type=“text/javascript”>
/* Google analytics {{{ /
if (/online-(go|baduk|weiqi|covay|igo).(com|net)$/.test(document.location.host)/
&& !(/beta/.test(document.location.host))/) {
console.log(“Welcome to OGS”);
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i[‘GoogleAnalyticsObject’]=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1
new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,‘script’,’//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js’,'ga’);
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-37743954-2’, ‘online-go.com’);
ga(‘send’, ‘pageview’);
window[‘ga’] = ga;
} else {
window[‘ga’] = null;
console.log(“Dev system detected, disabling google analytics”);
}
/* }}} */

line 228 is console.log(“Welcome to OGS”);

just 10.10.5…no security suite. safari 8.0.8

but usually cert problems are thrown by the browser regardless.

what version are you using?

OS X 10.9.5 Safari 9.1.3

No AV or anything? Evn if you feel safe, you could b bringing stuff in and passing it on to susceptible others. why the devil are you still at Safari version 8? You ought to check for updates and install them. There may be security content. Yes, look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_version_history

i put off updating the OS because they keep dumbing it down and I figured I’d wait for them to debug it. Not sure if they’re finished with either project. :wink:

:slight_smile: i don’t know what my circa 1984 RAND mh client is going to pass on

Today I noticed very long delay before the reload button became available, then page was blank. (Vivaldi, OSX) Collected this. Has some different stuff from what i saw previously

How about some feedback about whether you got something useful or not. If you want help from people, let them know if they’re wasting their time trying to give it to you. I’m close to stopping.

We have moved issue tracking to github. Are you still experiencing the blank screen?

I asked whether I provided anything useful. In addition to these forums, Github is now the 3rd site where I’ve been advised (that is to say asked) to post and follow things related to OGS. That is just plain silly.

I have continued to have the problem on this browser - Vivaldi. Previously this was the only on that was working when I had secure connection problems. I have found two solutions: (A) opening a new window, online-go.com and then clicking forum. (B) closing the window or browser. Yesterday I tried an unrelated site - apple.com - in a new tab on the window where Forums came up blank and that yielded a blank page! There was nothing in the Dev Tools Console.

I think that is weird. It suggests that what happened with OGS messed up something in the browser. Given that the problem has been experienced by others on other browsers (i assume), and that in my experience it does not always happen when Forums is selected, it seems unlikely that the browser is initially causing the problem.

Do you think you have fixed the problem on other browsers? Which ones?

I am now on a new window after starting from a “clean”, newly launched browser. I logged in and got Forums with no problem. I just looked at Dev Tools and found this:

As far as we are aware, this issue is closed for the typical browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge). I do not know what the priority is for less popular browsers.

Since we have open sourced the front end code for OGS we are using the issue tracker on GitHub to manage bug reports.

1 Like

I apologize for the confusion about where to post. Let me try to clear it up a little:

Feature requests can go here or on https://ogs.uservoice.com

Bug reports can go here or on https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/issues

Everything else can be posted here.

To be clear, everything can be posted here. The reason we have the other services is those services have features the forum does not. Uservoice allows users to vote on feature requests. Github is because part of OGS is open source; it allows users to track which issues are fixed and which are still outstanding. If you’d rather post everything here, that’s fine too. Uservoice and Github are for convenience only.

3 Likes

Hi Aten,

Please note that the debug information we’re seeking is for online-go.com, not forums.online-go.com, which is authored by these folks: http://www.discourse.org/ - so if you’re having issues viewing the forums on your browser of choice, you should report your issues over there.

3 Likes

Replying to three previous posts by OGS Team and OGS Dev:

1. Suggest turning some attention to this https://forums.online-go.com/categories in relation to what you’ve told me.

2. Suggest you organize what you’ve told me and anything similar into one item that is obviously available to users so they do not have to find out by trial and error (and you don’t have to repeat it). Not sure where to put it…maybe under Puzzles? I note that you have a link under About, “Feature Requests & Suggestions” that directs to https://ogs.uservoice.com.

Should be on the Forum site too.

P.S. I guess you should count yourselves fortunate when users go to the extra effort to report and provide supporting documentation of any problems they encounter when using OGS proper or one of it’s surrogates. I think when I started providing input on this I was still under the impression that all this stuff was OGS. The link to the forums is right there without distinction with links to other stuff that is part of OGS proper. The fact that it is has differences in appearance seemed odd but there are a lot of oddities. It was odd to have a separate login but I considered that part of the “quirkiness”. The fact that when you click login and get logged in without having to do anything else, the logos which do not specify “OGS Forums - hosted by whoever”…these help obscure the fact. Other oddities seemed like more oddities that one had to live with.

Putting the onus on ordinary users to distinguish what belongs to who and where they should report it is unreasonable. I have experience specifying, evaluating, testing SW of a different sort so I push that experience to try to help with online stuff which I know nothing about. Take what you get with gratitude and move it where you think it should go if the user doesn’t. Tell the users here what you’ve done, that you’ve fixed it for certain cases and don’t need more info for those unless something continues to not work. Note where you have not fixed it. Immediately point out if the problem reported is distinct and deserves a separate topic. Is it possible that what was broken for OGS is somehow effecting what happens at a site you are linked to? Who knows, naively one might suspect that it does.

Your alternative to being picky about what users should do may be that you that you get nothing. There are inconvenient workarounds for what I’m experiencing. Maybe switching to Firefox is another. I know that Opera and Vivaldi are built on some Chrome parts but that’s all. Firefox? Don’t know.

Of the number of OGS users, how many have accounts at how many other other relatd sites (it looks like anyone with an OGS account automatically has on at the Forum site. How many of those have posted more than once?

1 Like

Hi - I use the stock Android browser on Huawei Ascend Y300 to play on OGS. It has always worked fine until latest V5, where now all I get is a blank white screen once the connection to OGS is established. I’ve cleared all data and flushed the cache to no avail. Other browsers on PC w10 work fine - thanks to all concerned for a great site.

I have the same problem with Samsung S5

Same thing here on a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, with default browser (though I didn’t try to clear the data and the cache).
The site works fine with chrome on the same phone.

i cant do anything in google chrome too!

computer

I have the same problems. White page and no login under w7 and android. IOS works fine…

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.