Selected Translation: Limiting Your Opponent's Influence

Hello!
I’ve translated selected part of 2 other articles about limiting your opponent’s influence, they are teaching articles by professional player and institution. I hope those articles can help you find new way of invasion. However in the article the teaching and passing on the understanding rely heavily on metaphors and opinions that is very difficult to translate so I wonder how many information might be lost in translations.

Also my apologize for the article this time is a bit thin, I’m having some rough time and isn’t very keen on doing perhaps anything. And hopefully next week I could shake it off and stop looking back in anger lol. hopefully we can have another big 15+ pages article very soon.

I hope you can enjoy this article, to close out I’d like to start a poll to choose the next article.

• Samsung Cup
  • Asian Game Female Final
  • New views on old game Kejie v. Lee Sedol
  • Whichever
  • On top of that I’d also like to see a more introductory teaching article (for kyus)s)
0 voters
11 Likes

This is nice. As a DDK, I could more or less follow the second article.

I get “Secure Connection Failed” when I try to follow the link to the article.

Without wishing to be rude, the standard of English displayed in your post, although not too bad, suggests you probably really need a native speaker to go through your translation to make sure you are really getting the meaning across accurately. Hard to be sure as I can’t access it.

1 Like

I’m sorry for the inconvenience, My host provider requires annual validation of email address, but the problem is now fixed, and the link should be working by now.
Also thank you for pointing out the language problem, which I’m having some difficulties. Hopefully after using an AI grammar checker it will be better, but that would not happen until perhaps next year for grammerly is expensive.
Thank you again for the reminder and I hope the coming articles will be in better quality.
Cheers

3 Likes

The article seems to say: try to find weaknesses near the corner, don’t necessarily try to live in the corner, don’t try to save all stones and be flexible, i.e. if you started with the idea of saving stone A, you may change your mind later and decide to save stone B instead.

On the other hand, variations are very difficult to read (for me).

1 Like

Thanks, yes, I can open it now.

Skimming, the translation seems reasonably comprehensible despite various language errors. I think it would be much better to collaborate with a native English speaker than to expect that grammar-correcting software can make the explanations lucid. Maybe someone on this forum would like to work with you?

On the other hand, something is better than nothing, so even if parts of your translations are impenetrable, there can still be benefit gained from what is fully comprehensible.

1 Like

Anyway, even if no one proofreads your text for whatever reason, don’t worry, I think your translated article is perfectly understandable. The hardest part is to understand go technique, not the language.

6 Likes

Thanks for providing these!

Great article! In the first half, it’s fascinating to see how white uses the three weaknesses together.

In English, I think we would describe these patterns as invading or reducing a moyo, not influence. In the list at Chinese Go Terms at Sensei's Library, moyo is the same as territorial framework 模样, and influence is 势力 or 厚势. Does the original article use any of those terms?

I’d love to see more of these articles.

Thank you and thanks for pointing out!
Yes the Chinese word is 模样, and sorry for using the word influence.
Is the word ‘moyo’ widely accepted in English community? (moyo is the Chinese and perhaps Japanese pronunciation of 模样)
I did came across the word ‘moyo’ but think it is a pronunciation and chose to use my understanding. Perhaps I should use moyo framework next time.
Thanks again for your comment and hope you enjoy this and the coming articles.

Moyo is a common word in English speaking go community. I’m certain Japanese player would understand what it means, because it’s a loanword from Japanese. Koreans don’t seem to have “moyo” go term.

To further disambiguate used terminology you can make a list of terms in the beginning of the article like many go books do. It makes it possible even to introduce your own terms. Some authors don’t like loanwords and invent their English counterparts.

Not 모양?

No idea. Can you read it for me? (sound transcription) I can’t read this.

I can only speculate based on my interactions with Korean go player in English. Ladder is axes; 2 eyes are 2 houses; moyo is “you again try to build big house in the middle”.

Pronounced like moyang. It comes from the same Chinese word moyo, literally “shape”. Since it literally means “shape”, it is used in more contexts than just “large framework”.

Screenshot_20240202_064504_Firefox

On a side note, does anyone know what words the Chinese and Japanese use to talk about “good shape”?

I admit that I had to express more precisely.

It seems like theres no word phonetically or possibly even epistemologically close to word we use when referring to large territorial frameworks which is “mo-yo” in Kerean.
I have no idea what’s literal meaning of “mo-yo” in Japanese. I had no idea what ladder meant before learning go. Many of non native English speakers I taught also had almost never encountered ladder before and would warily refer to is as “stairs”. “Moyo” is the same thing to me. I don’t know and don’t need to know it’s literal meaning to use in in context of playing go and nowhere else in everyday life.

Is there a concept of large territorial frameworks in Korean? Yes, for sure there’s. It’s the same game for all with same rules and qualities. Not having same word or having slightly different word then in other language doesn’t delete in from game of go.

There’s no exact representation of word “haengma” in Japanese and next closest thing would be “suji”. Do they lose on some fundamental aspect of game because of it? Of course not.

I know it is katachi in Japanese (meaning good,effective / efficient shape in the context of go).

According to this senseis page, the Korean go term for shape (in general?) is 모양 (moyang), the Chinese term is 形 (xing2) or 形状 (xing2 zhuang4) and the Japanese term is 形 (katachi)

Yes, moyo is a standard term in English language go books. There is even a whole book about it.

But looking at the other comments here, I’m wondering if people don’t read books any more? Perhaps “framework” is a safer term nowadays.