“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Ok, it just got more complicated, last game finished is added to the top Still, 2 games missing… seems to be as irregular as you described above :confused:

I mean, its not a big issue, just wanted to point the developer to this rather weird behaviour.

1 Like

Hi guys, thank you for the reports. Sorry for taking so long to reply, it’s quite a crazy time right now. I may have some time to look at this after Wednesday though. What would help me is a list of the games that are not appearing. The hypothesis is there is some common factor that makes those games not work (such as having a weird name, or some peculiar settings).

Could you guys help me compile that list?

1 Like

New release on the way (althouhg Google Play is slooow right now, not sure when it will be served for downloads). Whats new:

• Barebones Joseki Explorer. Thanks to @Eugene for his help in getting this through. Note that there is partial support for browsing this offline: you can browse any positions you have already visited while online… There are no comments, authors, tags, sources, etc displayed for each position. If this proves popular, I might revisit this later and improve on it.
  • Open game in browser: This one was contributed by https://github.com/arispoloway (not sure what his name is on OGS).

As usual feedback is welcome.

4 Likes

Sorry I missed this request. I’ll try and get a list together for you.

So far so good. I really like the Joseki explorer. It’s pretty good at giving a short but precise information on the moves. It also feels clean and easy to navigate.

Personally I enjoy the app and use it when I’m on my phone. If I had any request is having a “night mode” for the app so it’s more pleasant on the eyes.

2 Likes

New release on the way (should be there in a few hours). What’s new:

• Number of unread chat messages for each game are now displayed on the main screen (see screenshot below). This only works for active games and games that have been finished in the past 5 days (but no more than 25). Please note that the messages are checked only when you open the app, not in the background (for reasons of not using too much battery). This marks an interesting milestone as this is the only feature that I implemented which is not available on the website :slightly_smiling_face:
  • Added ability to request an undo. It was previously possible to accept or ignore a request from your opponent (made from the website) but now you can issue an undo request from the app.
  • Fixed a bug introduced in the last version in which the app would sometimes display an error when challenges are active.

As usual, feedback is welcome.

6 Likes

I don’t know if this is supposed to happen, mostly offering feedback:
When I have notifications for let’s say 5 games where it’s my turn, even if I tap the notification for the game with C, app opens in the game with A.
Also, notifications stay there even if I play my move and it’s not my turn any more, I have to dismiss them.
@MrAlex I would like if I could disable the in-app vibration. Could this be considered in future versions? I have notification settings vibration off, but when I’m holding my phone to play a move and another game also gets a move it vibrates. It’s a bit startling.

@MrAlex
I updated to latest version from Android Play store and the app no longer opens…
starting diagnostics, details to come

edit:

soft restart: still crashes
unistall and reinstall: reinstall failed
uninstall, delete all local files, reinstall: still crashes

(log files lodged at each step)

System:
phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
model: SM-G930F
android: 8.0.0

1 Like

Goddamn… broken version… that’s what I get for not having proper tests. Thank you for the report.

2 Likes

happy to help :slight_smile: let me know if there is any more details I can provide for you

Thanks, but I have Crashlitics and it’s very easy to see the mountain of reports as it crashes for everybody that updates the app (works for fresh installs).

Anyway, I triggered a build for the hotfix but it will take several hours for Google to push the update… eh… it is what it is… The pleasures of a one-man project :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

FWIW, possibly obsolete now… before the update I am currently on vacation mode and all my games showed negative game time… hadn’t tried any trouble shooting yet… will see if it’s still there when the patch goes live

Yes, that’s an old one… there is no pause implemented for any reason in the game. Perhaps I should work on that next…

2 Likes

Currently i have too many games open so the recently finished list only shows 1 game at the moment. BUT it is the last game i finished so atm all good. Thanks for the update anyway, really dig the new joseki explorer and the chat thingy comes in really handy too. Will report if I encounter any troubles in the future.

1 Like

Excellent idea! Minor bug if you ask me, but time shows weird things when:
-Paused game (ie weekends)
-Games with “Simple” time settings also seem to be messed up regarding clock shown in app, regardless if games are paused or not.

• when on vacation

Working great now. Just noticed one new thing that I guess is a bug. When I started an auto match and then got bored waiting, clicking cancel didn’t appear to do anything. I backed out of the app and opened it again and the auto match thing was gone so it’s not a major problem but I’m pretty sure it’s worked as I’d expect previously (i.e. the cancel should obviously cancel!)

Ooooh… this could actually be the root cause of the disappearing game problem you (and a few others, including @teapoweredrobot ) are experiencing. I see some rate limiter errors from the server (meaning we’re making too many requests in a short amount of time). I need to investigate this further, but it’s a good find…

This has reminded me. In the olden days the app used to list all your past games. On occasion a newly finished game would appear at the end of the list rather than at the top. I guess now that the list is limited if a game goes to the bottom of the list it just disappears. I don’t know if this helps but maybe you know what makes a game go to one end of the list or another?

This sometimes happens when you go out of the app and go back in. I suspect in rare cases it happens when your connection momentarily goes down. The reason is the server cancels your live or blitz game challenge if you disconnect from the websocket. It does this without notifying the client, so there isn’t much I can do.

I’m planning to make the connection “sticky” if you have an ongoing live or blitz game (or challenge) by displaying a persistent icon in the status area of your phone (pretty much as the chess.com app does it). This should alleviate this problem as you can background the app while you search and come back to it, but it’s a lot of work, I need to find the time and motivation to do it

That bug should be fixed and the list is sorted by the end date of the game

Yes, I need to revisit that ASAP as it’s way below the standard of the rest of the app. I should add that I just noticed that if you make a game to be “unlimited time” it simply just crashes… oopsie!

2 Likes

I’ve just discovered this feature! It’s way too easy to hit by mistake (right above the back button on my phone) and no “are you sure?” dialogue like pass and resign.
Would it be possible to either move the undo request to the menu only (I have only ever used this feature once in all my games/moves) or at least have a confirmation box?

The new chat thing showing on the thumbnail page is great btw. Really useful for teaching games when someone might ask someone before moving and you can now see that straight away.

Thanks!