“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

I’m not saying I will sponsor, I’m not saying I won’t, I’m not saying whether other people should/ shouldn’t (it’s a personal matter), but

WTH why would anyone feel entitled to express upset over this.

1 Like

Also all the best and I hope it amounts to a butler placing your stones for you while you sip cognac.

2 Likes

Well the creators of online-go might have an objection since the app is using server resources…

Ok, that’s legitimate.

On the other hand, they don’t give us an app, so…

No complaint from us, thank you for all of your hard work on this :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Can you just enable PWA for the web app? It’ll be fullscreen and won’t waste space on headers and other irrelevant fluff on small phone screens.

New version out soon, this one fixes a bug that caused complicated KO fights to sometimes be misinterpreted as being a KO when in fact they were not. This has been around forever but nobody mentioned it except ϕ eunoia - thanks for pointing it out and helping me track it down.

2 Likes

I’m quite curious which game that was, and how the bug worked

The game in question was https://online-go.com/review/440274 (see move 47 on the review, that was the rejected one). If you do make that move, note that the position is the same as after move 44, with just one stone changing from white to black. The bug was that I was just checking that the set of stones is the same (e.g. stones at the same coordinates) without adding the check that they are the same colour too… oopsie!

@MrAlex Hey there, I’d really like to use the app, but notifications don’t work for me, I’ve trying installing a couple of times already. I read a few of the posts here and it seems it was an issue, but it was solved.
I think I’ve cleared all the necessary permissions, but still no notifications.
I like the idea of playing in the app, plz help :cry:

Hey @Gia, I’m afraid it will be quite hard, bordering on impossible to diagnose why it’s not working for your particular phone or user without me having access to it. Since it’s working for most users we can try to figure out what is unusual about your user or your particular phone. Can you think of something that might cause this?

For example, things such as:

• a chinese version of the phone (since Chinese government censors all Google services on the phone and I rely on some of those)
  • a very old phone or android version (these should work, but god knows)
  • rooted phone
  • very peculiar phone manufacturer doing some crazy battery optimisations
  • keeping a samsung phone with battery saver always turned on (those settings are not meant to be kept always on and they really mess up the background data connections)

Does this help? (I didn’t post personal info, did I?)

Latest update on Android blocked a bunch of notifications and I had to regive permissions to each one individually, and I thought it would also help here, but it didn’t.

Some apps read it as rooted (probably because it’s customized for Greece) but it’s not rooted.

Oh god, I hope I didn’t sound too whiny, oops.

EDIT: @MrAlex Unbelievable, it had an extra battery permission after the first layer of permissions. Hadn’t noticed but your list helped me check deeper. Notifications seem to work (until further notice). Thanks!

2 Likes

You should try my solution. Every time you pick up you phone for whatever reason, tap the app, see what moves you have to play, play them, put phone down. Then remember what it was you picked your phone up for, quickly check the app (just in case someone already replied to your move) play those moves, put phone down, repeat.

Quite effective at getting correspondence games moving along. Not so great for continued marital bliss. But you know, priorities right.

2 Likes

I have a shortcut to Chrome page of OGS on my phone and I kinda maybe check it all the time. Notifications would keep me employed.

@Gia hmmm… not sure what it could be… can you look under battery optimisations for apps and make sure that the optimisation is not enabled for the online go app? Basically this: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-remove-android-apps-from-the-battery-optimization-list/

It worked for a bit and then it didn’t, so it’s probably my phone. :woman_shrugging:

Thanks for trying to help, though! :slightly_smiling_face:

@MrAlex recently my finished games are no longer showing up in the app. Any Idea what caused this ? Worked just fine until recently

1 Like

They still show up properly in my app, it might help if you tell Alex what version of the app you have and what phone device and operating system version you are using it on :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MrAlex alpha b212 on Samsung S10, Android 10

1 Like

I have an intermittent issue where the occasional finished game just disappears from the list but it’s so irregular that I couldn’t point to the circumstances that cause it. It seems to be related to the fact that in previous versions of the app all my old games showed and occasionally a recently finished have would be added to the bottom rather than the top of the list. Then an update to the app limited the list of finished apps. I guess now if a recent finished game is added to the bottom rather than the top of the list it will just disappear.

2 Likes