“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

wasn’t the previous scheme OK? (the one alemitrani posted a screenshot a couple of posts above)
it was already ‘not pure-black’ but black enough.

2 Likes

After doing a bit of digging around I think I understand why I didn’t like the previous theme: the cards were darker in colour than the background. Note how in the 4 different apps I presented as examples above, all the cards are lighter in colour than the background.

It seems that how light the colour is determines the perceived elevation of the surface in dark mode (much like a shadow does in light mode). Hence, a darker “card” on a lighter background feels “sunken” instead of “raised”.

PS: Although I admit my attempt was probably too light.

2 Likes

New version coming up:

• Landscape mode (yay tablet users, all 4% of you!). It’s a bit rushed as I didn’t get to finish it due to the other bugs.
  • Fixed an issue that caused no notifications to show (oopsie!)
  • Fixed a few crashes
4 Likes

Have a go chess app is good. But i hope you will like OGS. is good website come play go chess. is very nice people. is very nice site.

Hey I just recently downloaded the app and have been enjoying using it for some live 9x9. I was just wondering if there were any sound effects? It feels odd playing silently. I looked in the settings but couldn’t see where to turn them on, am I missing something? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @ElZilcho no, you’re not missing anything, there are no sounds effects since I didn’t put any. You can make the app vibrate on the opponent’s move though. The reason is I reckoned most people would be using the app on their phones while in a meeting room (remember those? real life face to face meetings?).

Perhaps I would add some click-clack sounds, although I don’t know how to make them and not sure where I could find some royalty-free ones.

2 Likes

That may be so but for an abstract board game it doesn’t really matter much. Might it be possible to revert to the previous dark mode for now and optimise later? It was much better than the present one, apart from the timer icon being invisible - but even with that defect I would still prefer it. Thanks.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the mentality that got the GO community to have hundreds of half-arsed apps in the playstore that are honestly offensive to look at. Unless it looks OK and I can take pride in the way the app looks and behaves I will struggle to find motivation to continue working on it, so for that reason alone I’d like to put at least a decent effort into it.

At this point reverting is the same amount of work as implementing a proper colour scheme. I understand if you guys are not willing to come up with one, I will try to work something out myself and will implement it soon. It’s one of my top priorities.

4 Likes

I think we all agree that the app should look good and behave well. I was only referring to the point about lighter on darker versus darker on lighter. There are probably options that would look good either way, in my opinion it looked good with the previous dark scheme. I appreciate your commitment to the quality of this app. What about using the OGS dark scheme in the app? It looks good and works well, despite having no “cards” and no “background” - and it certainly is dark.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m no expert in the nuances of colour schemes but the issue with the current dark scheme is that it just looks washed out
So how about black background and dark card backgrounds. I don’t know if you’ve chosen a specific distinction between the cards and the background but how would it be if that same difference were kept but with the background black and the cards darkened by the same amount?

I think the game screens are good btw but I’m not sure if they’ve actually changed except for the icon visibility.

1 Like

@Popz @teapoweredrobot @alemitrani how do these look? Dark enough?

Variant: less coloured buttons to reduce the brightness further:

2 Likes

Do the cards need to be quite as different to the background? Looking at the Facebook example and the middle one of the set you had above, the cards seem much closer to the background i.e. darker.

I mean I think I could be persuaded by @alemitrani and wonder of it’s necessary to have cards at all?

However I can see you point that darker cards on a lighter background look sunken so you’ve won me over with that one!

1 Like

These look better. Out of the two I like the second more, the simpler icons look better as well as being darker. If the cards could be made a bit darker still I would like it even more. Thanks.

1 Like

I too am in favour of the cards having the same colour as the background, but if that’s not agreeable with you, darker cards would be nice :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I like https://freesound.org/ for that.

For instance I’m partial to this one for stone sounds - and use it variously in my scripts: Freesound - "Stone dropping" by alegemaate

2 Likes

In order to get rid of the cards completely I think a bigger redesign is needed, as that would look quite bad on light mode.

Alright, how about these? The background is pure black now and the text pure white. Any more and it will be darker than my ex’s heart :slight_smile:

Ok, I also agree, let’s keep the dark icons.

Thanks for that I might actually go for it.

3 Likes

Looks good to me, thanks.

1 Like

Looks great!
(Does the text need to be pure pure white? Maybe showing my ignorance of these things but to me the issue was the grayness of the cards/background rather than of the text, which I thought could still be a bit gray white rather than being super high contrast with the background/cards.)

1 Like

You don’t have to, but since one of the initial complaints about the current dark mode is that it’s “washed out”, I interpreted that as “not enough contrast”. Bumping the text to full white is an attempt to get the cards to be something other than pure black but still maintain a decent contrast.

The problem I guess comes from the fact that people are using different phones, and at that level of black it matters. LCD screens cannot really show black hence the users of such screens ask for darker colours. OLED do get perfect black, so for them the contrast is too high. It’s going to be impossible to please everybody.

2 Likes

Love it! Pure black always looks great on the android AMOLED displays :heart_eyes:

2 Likes