Sgf file with board rotated

I like to copy the sgf text from my Goquest games to review. Often, the board is rotated 180° when opened in an editor or OGS or Ai-sensei. The rotation is dependant on whether I had played black or white. But, I prefer to have the same board orientation as when I played the game. Anyone know a quick fix?. Can I add a line to the sgf text? Only thing I’ve found is a command line utility, but I was hoping to do something on my phone.

Have not seen anything in my searches except general info such as this helpful post
SGF File Format

Thanks

1 Like

Goquest has some real board experience simulation by rotating board of one of players? :astonished:

1 Like

That’s what it seems like. I didn’t realize at first until someone else pointed it out.

1 Like

Maybe they have a setting to turn that off? Since we’re displaying the sgf “correctly” and don’t have a feature to rotate internally, your best bet might be to have goquest do the same for all your games. :man_shrugging:

Just took a look. I guess I should start playing on a real board so I’m used to seeing the board from both ends

Unlike chess, it doesn’t really matter what side you’re looking at it while playing… But as you’ve noticed, reviewing a game you’ve played can be jarring when in a different orientation.

(Worth noting, this can sometimes be a useful review tool… By rotating the board 90 or 180 degrees, you can sometimes identify blunders in your decision making that you wouldn’t catch otherwise precisely because it stops looking familiar)

2 Likes

Sounds like a nice little tool for reviews, puzzles, import of sgfs…
In an extended way, one could apply symetry on the board too. (Horizontal, vertical and combos, including rotation)
Still should think how the coordinate system will adapt itself with that.

2 Likes

This is the command line utility I mentioned. Will output an sgf with rotation 180° or whatever you specify . Haven’t tried it yet but looks like it converts the board coordinates

https://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/sgfutils/html/sgftf.html

1 Like