Should the Computer AI Players be renamed for the rank change?

Spectral-7k is now 4kyu, Spectrak-3k is now 3kyu, Spectral-1k is now 2dan, and Spectral-2d is now 3dan. I assume this is because of the recent changes in the ranking system.

5 Likes

The bots are run by third parties anyway and their names have often been a bit off. I think the way people use bots can cause their ranks to fluctuate somewhat regardless.

Maybe they should be called: Spectral-VeryEasy, Easy, Medium, Hard etc. People can see the site rank for themselves anyway.

6 Likes

This is the most severe example:

Perhaps all account names (Regular users & Bots) shouldn’t be allowed to include rank at all as this can be misleading for people unfamiliar with the site.

5 Likes

The bot owner specifically trained those bots to try and match OGS ranks at the time… and spectral is one of the most reliable bots we have… As long as it’s not vulgar or otherwise against our ToS users can pick whatever name they want. If anyone has been confused yet, I’ve not seen it, and the situation can be easily explained should it ever occur.

4 Likes

Good enough for me.

2 Likes

@saphie, it might be worth messaging the bot owner tbh. (Although, as stated earlier, they aren’t obligated to change it!)

3 Likes