Sign in with username or email address accesses different accounts

What’s the reason we don’t support account deletion? Obviously I don’t want to delete this account :slightly_smiling_face:, but that’s one of my biggest pet peeves on other sites. In fact I thought the EU/California had some regulations on this, but IANAL…

Edit: I found a prior discussion. Request for account deletion

Still, a pet peeve when sites don’t support deletion!!

The main reason is that whatever games were played with that profile they belong to two players. And we don’t want to (nor would seem fair to me) to delete parts of player’s history because the opponent quit OGS. So “something” needs to stay behind. Having a “quit and annonimize” my account would probably be good though (players can do this manually already, but it’s a bit cumbersome). Maybe one day.

That’s quite weird, never heard a similar thing before. Are you by any chance running some extensions or password managers that might be getting confused? I cannot help directly unfortunately, but have relayed the issue onto our developer to check it out when he logs in. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

I am running a password manager, but I am taking care to manually paste the password I think is correct every time. Thank you for escalating this.

It seems an odd design decision to have games owned by their players, rather than having an independent index of games with bidirectional references to the accounts of players. But, I don’t know the rest of the design context. I’m sure there are good reasons.

1 Like

It looks like the password invalidation problem might have been my password manager after all. It was not syncing between machines. (And the developers are so confident in their sync tech that there is no indication whether syncing is working or not!)

This no longer needs mod/dev attention. Thanks for your time.

5 Likes

Many thanks for letting us know :slight_smile: Glad to hear it works

1 Like