Simultaneous Fractional Go Game 1

Maybe three teams would be interesting?

2 Likes

I’m down for playing or being the arbiter for a second game :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Anyone want to try 9x9 this time?

2 Likes

I liked 19 x 19.

3 Likes

Shall I be arbiter? I think you deserve to play your own creation.

3 Likes

@Vsotvep I’m happy that you had fun playing this variant, and I’ll gladly be arbiter so you (and everybody else) can play again :slightly_smiling_face:

There is plans to create a go variants server coded by OGF users. So it is possible that this could be used in the future to automate the arbiter role. (Plus there is a project by a friend of mine and me, which will hopefully go live one day)

3 Likes

Soon enough that we can wait for that to start? I mean, this current game started back in November…

1 Like

I don’t think so, it’ll still take some time I believe.

1 Like

With that other go variants server (open source and already running), maybe it would be less work to modify that one to add multicolor stones?

1 Like

Yes, we can wait for it, although I don’t know when it’ll be ready. I personally only have time on the weekend, and I haven’t succeeded in starting the project on my end :sweat_smile:

So I guess it largely depends on Jon_Ko, benjito and who else decides to contribute. But I don’t want to pressure anybody to rush things.

I’ll gladly be the arbiter again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Which one?

https://go.kahv.io/

It’s lacking simultaneous moves too.

3 Likes

I would love some of @antonTobi’s thoughts on the game :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have any thoughts since I stopped trying to follow the game a long time ago :sweat_smile:

This variant is not really my cup of tea since I find the board state too difficult to parse. But I was happy to see that the participants enjoyed the game!

4 Likes

I’m also still not confident I know the rules and how the capturing works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have a ton of free time these days, so work is slow, but I think the main tasks are significant, but achievable:

• Deploy a database (so games persist through a server restart) [DONE]
    • We’re thinking mongo, now just need some time to add it and deploy
  • Implementation of this variant
    • Allow simultaneous moves (currently the framework allows for multiple moves, but doesn’t really know what to do with them)
    • allow for multicolor stones
  • User logins? VGS gets by without these so idk.
    • This requires the database
    • Figure out how users join a game (I think seats at a table that a user can sit at/leave would be a nice casual way to do this)

PRs welcome, and I’ll commit to reviewing/merging quickly (say a few days at the worst)

I’ll make this post a wiki in case anyone can think of any other need-to-haves

(govariants.com / GitHub)

3 Likes

Oh wait I missed some context- I thought the OGF one was the “other go variants server” oops. Anyway yeah, that’s the approximate amount of work it would take. I’m not sure how that compares to the work needed in kahv’s VGS

2 Likes

I tried to formulate the rules unambiguous and short yet understandable to the best of my ability, in the first post of the ongoing game. I’m hoping that helps, but anyway, feel free to ask me rules questions publicly or in your private message thread, if you prefer. I will try to answer as well as I can, without giving hints. Although I might decide to post the answer publicly.

That brings me to another point that I wanted to write about. As the arbiter I have access to hidden information, and as such I try to avoid influencing the game. Maybe I’ll make some jokes from time to time, but only if I believe that it doesn’t create an advantage for one team or the other.
On that note, I’ve been thinking about likes. I’ve tried to stick to a rule that I don’t give a “thumbs up” to player posts discussing the position or their intentions, for the above reason. For some time I contenplated if I should like all posts, which would also be fair. But I might run out of likes :sweat_smile: and at that point it might lose its meaning.
So I hope nobody is discouraged if I don’t like your discussing posts. This is the reason.

Sometimes I’ll like posts in your private move submission thread. This is not to give hints, in those cases I give a like to all player submissions this specific round, independently of the position or submissions.

Sorry for writing a long rant about something that may seem insignificant, but I have been thinking about this and wanted to express it.

Regardless of the “like”-feature, please know that I appreciate all players! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure that it’s that they’re worded unclearly or anything like that. More so that I think I just need a bit more experience with them.

There’s a few things to think about like new chains, old chains, possible collisions and chains passing through each other etc :slight_smile:

It should be interesting anyway.

2 Likes