Some AI-guided and poorly organized analysis of 1-move pies

Some people might find a pi-rule inelegant :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s kind of cool to have territory type games, where one can just adjust the starting score by not a lot in the case of 19x19 Go, and end up with a pretty fair game. I imagine it’s much harder to define both a deep game and a fair game without incorporating some gimmick such as komi or the pi rule to deal with a first move advantage.

I also quite like the 0.5 points in the komi in Go to avoid draws too, but obviously some people would prefer if a draw meant equally skilled (possibly at blundering) or perfect play potentially leading to a draw (although that makes standard x’s and o’s pretty sad and just because).

Not to derail things, of course, the post is quite interesting. Some other sligthly related ideas to do with komi bidding after some opening moves, and/or possibly using an AI to assess the position to suggest a fair komi.

With your first image, using the winrates do you have the komi set to 0 or 0.5 for Katago? (just out of curiosity for anyone trying it out)

I’m not sure it matters for me to add, but I’ll mention that with the OGS level 2 it suggests in a game with 0.5 komi for White K19 looks like it loses about 7 points (B+5.7 to W+1.8) while S18 loses about 5 points (B+5.7 to B+0.4). If one throws away the 0.5 komi I suppose they seem similar (I can’t imagine the score estimation or winrate is really this accurate this early). Does Katago output confidence intervals?

Would you not consider 2 stone pies then :smiley: