Some Go haiku

Gentle fan in hand
Don’t disturb his peaceful air
In the soft spring breeze

Inspired by Excerpts from the AGA E-Journal - #37 by bugcat

"The Chessboard Cherry Tree” tells the story of Oda Sayemon, a hotheaded feudal lord in old Japan who was noted for his bravery as a soldier, for his abominable play at go, and for his bad temper and violence when he lost.

"His most intimate friends among his retainers had tried hard to reform his manners after losing at go; but it was hopeless. All those who won from him he struck in the face with a heavy iron fan

1 Like

Out in the wild
“Squatting next to the table”
The banana slug

Inspired by Excerpts from the AGA E-Journal - #23 by bugcat

Your next opponent may be three feet tall, bright yellow and named after a slimy invertebrate. David Doshay’s SlugGo program was one of two go-playing computer programs playing in the 2005 Cotsen Open … Named after the Banana Slug because it’s the mascot of the University of California at Santa Cruz, where Doshay is a Research Associate … SlugGo also earned its moniker “because it plays so slow"

I’m finding RandomPage haiku a bit fun.

Just ride Sensei’s Library’s RandomPage until you find a 5-, then 7-, then 5-syllable article title.

Wangyou Qingle Ji
Mapping Sensei’s Library
GS Caltex Cup

Chicago Go Club
Ko threat amplification
Disposable stones

Solid connection
Yamamoto Kentaro
Handicap Placement

I think the thing that encourages one to float down the river through quite a lot of pages is that seven-page titles appear to be disproportionately rare.

The Empty Triangle #81, haiku

1 Like

I’m in the mood for more RandomPage haiku.

They’ll be easier without demanding only one title on each line.

Tap, 1 Zheng Xu, TaiGO 2
Sakamoto Yasuo
Down, Park Siyeol, Shusai

1. A kind of contact move
  2. An app for the Palm Pilot. To the question “what is a Palm Pilot?” I say “exactly.”

Selfless Go, 1 Go Books
Get Strong at Joseki, 2 Zi 3
MoGo Nosekis 4

1. Zen mentality discussion
  2. Three books coauthored by Bozulich
  3. 子, “stones”, the unit of Chinese scoring
  4. Bad non-joseki sequences played by the bot MoGo (fl. 2006-08)

Dragons fights
Spectators talking on luck in go
Surprises gifted on the board.

1 Like