Split-team correspondence rengo

I will be organising an elimination rengo tournament following this formula:

Sign-ups here on this thread.

• 19x19, Chinese rules, no handicap.
  • There is exactly one game per round. All non-eliminated players are playing in the same game.
  • Before each game starts, the players are randomly divided into two teams. If the number of players is odd, then one team will have one more player.
  • When a game ends, all players in the losing team are eliminated. All players in the winning team advance to the next round.
  • Rengo settings: not casual.
  • Time-settings: Correspondence, Fisher, 3 days + increment 1 day per move, maximum 3 days.
  • Tournament start: January 2nd
  • Number of rounds: expected to be between 3 and 6 depending on the number of players.

As long as I’m a player, I will be creating the games and posting the link in this thread. Since this is an elimination tournament, one of the non-eliminated players might have to pick up this responsibility at some point.

Registration starts now. Registration ends when the corks pop on the champagne bottles on new year’s eve.

Register by posting on this thread or editing @jlt 's post below.

Players:

3 Likes

I’m in \o/

1 Like

Maybe it’s easier to make a wiki? Then all players can register by adding their names to this list

3 Likes

Why not just make the game #1 invitation now?

Also, I’m very skeptical of strict rengo for more than ~4 per team. Has that ever worked? Maybe it could be casual until we get to 4 players, plus eliminate any individual who times out.

Either way I’m in :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m in.

I like Feijoa’s idea of casual plus disqualification for timeout in earlier rounds.

1 Like

I wanted no division of teams during the round. Once you’ve been assigned to a team for a round, you will either win this round with your whole team, or lose this round with your whole team. It’s not possible to win the round while some of your teammates lose on time.

Note that the choice of time-setting means time is somewhat shared between the team. You are guaranteed to have at least 24h to make your move, but whether you have only 24h, or up to 72h, depends on your teammates.

Finally, if a team times out, then the tournament will be over sooner, so the disappointment is short-lived.

Can I join?

1 Like

i m in

1 Like

I’m in.
OGS id: DiscoElysium

Only 4 days left to register for the tournament!

Right now we have 11 players, which means 3 or 4 rounds.

1 Like

Only 2 days left to register for the tournament!

Right now we have 11 players, which means:

• 3 rounds with probability 62.5%; or
  • 4 rounds with probability 37.5%.

If we had 12 players then there would be exactly 50%-50% probability of having 3-4 rounds.

I will join too! :slight_smile:

Champagne corks have popped, registration are closed, game will start on january 2 at noon, Paris time: 2023-01-02T11:00:00Z.

Please join the game here:
Invitation to round1: Split-team correspondence rengo

Players for round 1: ArsenLapin1 _KoBa @jlt @_Sofiam @Jon_Ko @Feijoa @mafidufa @Horn_J @Glunkolin @jf.baraton @DiscoElysium @fuseki3

Once all players have joined, I will assign the teams randomly using the following python script:

Summary

Replace secret by the first sentence of the most recent lemonde.fr article at the time where the game starts.

import random

secret = '' # add a secret sentence here

players = 'ArsenLapin1 KoBa jlt Sofiam Jon_Ko Feijoa mafidufa Horn_J Glunkolin jf.baraton DiscoElysium fuseki3'.split()

random.seed(secret)
random.shuffle(players)

white = players[:len(players) // 2]
black = players[len(players) // 2:]

print('White: ', white)
print('Black: ', black)
3 Likes

I wanted to send a notification to every player with my post, but you are eleven and discourse will only let me notify 10, so here is a ping to @_Koba

Game will start as soon as @jf.baraton @DiscoElysium and @mafidufa have joined.

You can join here: Rengo invitation link

I think I’ve joined but dont see it in my games list

Yes you are on the list of players. So 2 players are still missing, and two players who didn’t register here have to be removed.

Hello everyone,

The first round has begun!

White: [‘Glunkolin’, ‘ArsenLapin1’, ‘fuseki3’, ‘jf.baraton’, ‘Feijoa’, ‘mafidufa’]
Black: [‘DiscoElysium’, ‘Jon_Ko’, ‘KoBa’, ‘Sofiam’, ‘jlt’, ‘Horn_J’]

Bizarrely, I added the players to the teams in that order, and the order was respected for Black, but the players were somewhat reordered arbitrarily by OGS for White.

Summary
import random

secret = 'Réforme des retraites : « Personne ne devra travailler 47 ou 48 ans », annonce Elisabeth Borne' # add a secret sentence here

players = 'ArsenLapin1 KoBa jlt Sofiam Jon_Ko Feijoa mafidufa Horn_J Glunkolin jf.baraton DiscoElysium fuseki3'.split()

random.seed(secret)
random.shuffle(players)

white = players[:len(players) // 2]
black = players[len(players) // 2:]

print('White: ', white)
print('Black: ', black)

# White:  ['Glunkolin', 'ArsenLapin1', 'fuseki3', 'jf.baraton', 'Feijoa', 'mafidufa']
# Black:  ['DiscoElysium', 'Jon_Ko', 'KoBa', 'Sofiam', 'jlt', 'Horn_J']
3 Likes

Any idea why the game is paused?

Strict mode rengo games gets paused if a player is in vacation mode, even if it’s not that player’s turn.

💖 KoBa 💖 is in vacation mode.

1 Like