Starting from what rank do you think a player should start to realize a lost game

It’s one thing to consider one’s own position and intentions. If you feel certain that you will lose, then, of course, feel free to resign.

However, it’s another thing to speculate about an opponent’s understanding of the position and their intentions.

I’m just saying that we should not immediately jump to the conclusion that they are aware that they are losing and only playing on to waste our time. In some cases, maybe they’ve just simply miscounted or misjudged life/death status and actually think they are winning.

Haven’t we all at some point been a confused beginner that has played on longer than we should?

3 Likes

i can asure you in my cases my opponents dont have any confusion they are losing. thats also the reason i talk to them in the chat to double insure.

i just think it’s wrong to think one is entitled to play on just because i have no way to force you resign. but i dont contest that, so i choose to resign. if my opponent or anyone still thinks i am a bad person still, i couldnt care less.

and i also want to put on record, i take teaching games to help out the community members. i ask non rank games so i can have a control when to end the game.

resign is there for a reason. we all need to learn practice it and do it in the right way. i learned my lesson and actually started resigning later than before. not respecting the custom is not a good behavior and spirit of go.

i play soccer. there are many times i wish i can resign but the rule does not allow it. the rules, for soccer and go, are there for the pleasure of our opponents, not for us.

many beginners might not understand the custom. we can take the opportunity to edcuate them politely.

My opponent resigned on move 55. Was I really winning?

I do agree that most of the issues discussed here are game and rank specific, meaning different situation warrants different answer.

Here is a game i recently played.

The point is, even if W doesn’t think it’s over by move 150, he should by 167. And if that still doesn’t ring a bell, 169 is almost like crying out loud “hello there?”.

At first I wanted to play along just to see how far W will keep going, but after a few moves I lost interest and passed.

And as soon as I passed, W passed. Don’t know why but it is like W doesn’t want to “initiate” the pass.

I definitely don’t find anything educational or fun in the so called end game.

i would pick black to play and would not resign as white

you still dont understand after all the discussion here? lol

i couldnt read the game clearly. was the game technically ended and you played at 1a etc instead of pass?

and after you pass, your opponenet pass as well?

what happened next? did he acccept loss?

now i am able to read the game, i would give a 10k slack with 30 points loss and i would not place stone at 1a at move 169 like you did. i would just pass. the game was finished at this point and you had a chance to signal your willingness to end the game properly with a pass, so that would be the right move. anything else was not. why your opponent did not initiate the pass is not important.

1 Like

Endgame can be boring but is more complex and important than many would think. Calculating the largest positions when the game comes down to half a point and seeing what your opponent will do to counteract that is pretty tough and obviously important. It definitely uses the least intuition considering the game as a whole. Even if you are losing a game by 20+ points, practicing endgame is an extremely important skill, one that I don’t practice enough. :wink:

1 Like

one can practice end game with analyze the game function, just saying

True, but I would highly recommend turning off that function and reading out the situation in your head, it will improve your game. Also, it is nice to have an opponent to play those moves for you even if their endgame is not great. It is more realistic. :wink:

1 Like

agreed

but i would not feel entitled to use my opponent’s time and at least asked to ease any possible stress on my opponent’s part. and in any case, there is no need to practice one point move, which is the point i tell my opponent to “resign”

2 Likes

It really all comes down to the patience you have, how serious you are about the game, and what you want out of it. To each his own! :wink:

yes, i agree, but i was referring to that particular game. And in that game there really isn’t much to learn from.

1 Like

I think the game you linked was already finished by move 167, so just playing out the endgame and then passing seems more polite and worthwhile than playing A1.

1 Like

This also seems like a general non-issue to me personally, especially in correspondence games. As stated, the want to play through positions or parts of the game is valid. There’s also a mentality that many have of complete what you have started - my uncle refuses to quit any game midway through, regardless of how sanctioned it is.

Can not resigning be abused? Yes, especially in this game that doesn’t have a definitive end. But in general, outside of those few abuse cases, I see nothing wrong with continuing to play.

2 Likes

I myself see something wrong, the same thing i see when someone try to live in your territory. I see an impossible dream, a dream you need to believe to continue to play it. They may be reasons to follow an impossible dream, and it can be allowed.

But let me doubt on the virtues, keeping a good sense of balance seems more essential to me as a side exercise on endgame.

Many times when I got commentaries from stronger players, they don’t bother to comment more as to the crucial point where I should have lost the game.

With beginners let say on 9*9, I like to search together at which move he should have resigned, and it is much less difficult as it sounds, if you go reverse from the end to find it.