Story Behind Your Username and/or Profile Pic?

Hehe, but I do not have kids. I grew up with The Little Mermaid.

7 Likes

I thought of that scenario after I posted LOL :smiley: Cheeky youngster :wink:

6 Likes

Another OGS Forum exclusive here, never told anyone this before.

Way back when I was 11, I started working on an album of music. It included such amazing tracks, such as Warpspeed, Satellites, Horizon, and Space Whale. (Still havenā€™t finished that album.) I had to come up with a name for it, and I thought it should be something space-ish.
Anyway, I went through like 12 different names, and rejected them all because they were all about as stupid as I was then :slight_smile: Then, one day, I was chillinā€™ in the middle of who-knows-where, and I saw a line of stars. and yeah, that. (I also thought, itā€™s like a skyline, but with stars (???))

Anyway, a month or two later, I needed a username for a certain website I will not nameā€¦ (YouTube) (whoops, just contradicted myself :waffle:) and I couldnā€™t think of any, so I thought back to what I did earlier that year. and, so I adopted that username and dealt with it.

At this time, my OGS username was Moon Base, because I thought that would be cool. Again, I was 11. Not the brightest. I didnā€™t like that for some reason or another, so I decided to change it to my current username. And thatā€™s the username Iā€™ve had, forā€¦ almost a year now.

Hereā€™s a story about why my previous username was Moon Base:
So I had just read this book series about a moon base
I was writing a song
I used a drumbeat from the loops library called Moon Base Beat or whatever
I thought it was cool
It would shorten Moon Base to Moā€¦ase and my sister was obsessed with moose at the time, so I changed the name of the beat to Moon Bose Beat or whatever so it would be Moā€¦ose
I named that entire song Moon Bose
Except then I found a person named Moon Bose
So I renamed it Moon Coze
I kept that as my OGS username for 30 days before changing it to Moon Base because I thought Moon Coze would be confusing
To this day I still have no idea what a Moon Coze is
(Hereā€™s the song in question, if youā€™re wondering. Not my best work, but it was pretty good for when I was 11.)

Edit: It appears I accidentally used a waffle emoji. That was a mistake. I repeat: THAT WAS AN ACCIDENT. I DID NOT MEAN TO SAY WAFFLE!!!

bye
-starline

16 Likes

What did you mean to say?

3 Likes

I have no idea :cheese:

7 Likes

That is not bad at the slightest! You are really talented at least from my point of view!

Just for reference this is what I made when Iā€™m 31: Listen to OoM by AVAVT in TechKids Night Jam playlist online for free on SoundCloud

It was after 1 week of learning composing from youtube tutorials, during my old companyā€™s ā€œMen of all talentsā€ competition series.

I think none of the other entries come anywhere close to your piece as well! :smiley:

8 Likes

That is indeed seriously impressive, and I was already impressed by your mathematical prowess!

Iā€™m now very curious to what you consider your best work

6 Likes

It is an empty link :sweat_smile:

Try this: https://www.tinyurl.com/115Serenity
donā€™t see how that could go wrong

5 Likes

Not sure if my username story is that interesting, I used to get called Lazza at work and added the tron because why the hell not.

You might be more interested in the story behind my icon picture. Itā€™s the fourth card from a homemade tarot card deck that I began illustrating last year. Having never done any drawing before, I was looking for a project to do to improve my skills and decided to illustrate my own tarot card deck because I find the symbolism behind the Tarot quite interesting.

The card in question It is the fourth card in the series: The Emperor, It normally shows an old guy sitting on a throne wearing a suit of armour. That obviously wasnā€™t sci-fi enough for me so I decided to set my emperor on Arrakis from Frank Herbertā€™s Dune. It shows a fremen father and son standing in front of a throne set in the rocks, they are surrounded by dunes and you can see the two moons of Arrakis and the setting sun in the background.

I had a lot of fun with this project as I had never really done anything creative like that before and I was learning throughout the whole process. Some of the illustrations were better than others but I always liked this one the most as I like the composition and colours (and its Dune!!!).

So really I guess for me my picture is much more important and personal than my username, which is liable to change at any time.

Iā€™d be intrested to hear if anyone else has a story behind their icon picture to go with their username.

15 Likes

This is really cool! Iā€™d love to see more of your deck, if youā€™d be interested in sharing.

6 Likes

Mine is a grab of an optimistic/uplifting looking kind of image - people looking in wonder at butterflyish kind of things - from a David Gilmour website - my favourite guitarist. The page with it on disappeared not long after I grabbed this actually, or at least, Iā€™ve never been able to find it again! :open_mouth:

10 Likes

I guess itā€™s a variant of this cover:

I canā€™t find it with the two peopleā€¦

5 Likes

ok here is a few of the better ones. . .

14 Likes
I stole my profile picture from a game.

To be precise, I found a game with a cool ship, and then took it and downscaled it, and then recreated it with higher quality pixel by pixel in MacOS Preview, but still.
Iā€™ll be changing it soon, to a scene from a flight simulator I created, but never finished. Iā€™m not sure when Iā€™ll finish it, though.

6 Likes

I stole my profile picture from an ancient culture. :wink:

4 Likes

I took a photo of myself when selfies werenā€™t a thing yet. Then I tweaked it and painted on it using my PC when smartphones and apps for modifying selfies were far away in the future and the Internet was still young and people used to spend their time in virtual halls called ā€œforumsā€. :grin:

Actually that image has many many years. :slightly_smiling_face:

I used a digital camera, though. That was already
a thing back then. :smile:

15 Likes

I hear that some people still do

13 Likes

I stole (maybe not) my profile from jdenticon.

3 Likes

My profile pictures are a revolving door of things related to my faith, musical tastes, etc. Itā€™s currently the African-American flag to support the protests happening right now in my country.

13 Likes