Surround — iOS client for OGS

Ahh, I was talking about the iOS version, worked on that, hardly ever tried the MacOS version to be honest.

1 Like

I plan to release my app to the App Store soon (after 1 more beta), so probably it will be simpler that I make another announcement thread when it happens?

Glad to know that you like it. I will probably not have time for the macOS app though, so I am planning to make my app open source after the App Store release and let the community figure out the macOS side.

3 Likes

IF it has FULL OGS functionality I’d be interested—I think I’d like to have OGS playing independent of all my other browsing.

“Surround - iOS client for OGS” would be my choice. For the sub-forum, I think either “Announcements” (same place with OGS-Notify) or “Go Resources” (same place with The Conquest of Go and Katrain) would be good option.

Currently I only plan for Start new games, Analyze Mode/Conditional Move, and Puzzles. What other features need to be implemented before you would consider it “Full OGS functionalily”? Literally replicating all features to the app would take years :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Currently I only plan for Start new games, Analyze Mode/Conditional Move, and Puzzles.

I believe that’s perfectly enough!

1 Like

Puzzles I personally wouldn’t need as I do them with Tsumego Pro on the iPhone.
And the others are nice already for a beginning :slight_smile:

Heh, yeah, I imagine. But hey, updates :wink: and make it a reasonable price for the update, like, say, 3–5 € every time you add something?
If App Store (which will mean some trouble also) then make the updates something that could be purchased in-app as a “power-up” or something?

I’m quite sure a total price of ~15–20 € would be appropriate for such an app, but yeah, I guess it would probably mean a full-time job with no sure income, so… maybe spend the time on something more worthwile.

1 Like

Now we have an extra section for 3rd Party Apps for OGS, thanks @anoek!

The other threads that folks might want to watch (even if it is not “your” OS, especially developers):

@MrAlex’s OGS client app for Android:

The thread where this all began:

1 Like

Awesome! (And much needed) now the Android thread is under 600 again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I have just published another beta version. This version allows starting new games from the app (finally… :sweat_smile:). You can download it using the same link as before: https://testflight.apple.com/join/lRSWcaC7

Some screenshots of the new feature:

I have been reading several posts on the forum about this feature recently (for example); so when working on the design of this feature, I tried to solve some of the issues raised. You can see in the screenshots that:

• It is deliberately very wordy, in order to make it clear what is going on.
  • At the bottom of the quick match screen, there is a list of custom games matching the quick match settings.
  • In the custom game screen, it is possible to send a challenge directly to another user.
  • Custom game options are grouped into several small parts, with “advanced” options separated into another screen.

This is a bit different from how it works on the website, but similar enough to not confuse people who use both the website and the app; and I think it is clearer for new users. However, that is just my personal take on it; so let me know what you think :slightly_smiling_face:.

10 Likes

I’ve just downloaded TestFlight and this beta release on my iPhone 12. Really excited to try it out - I’ve been wanting a OGS client on iOS for ages and yours seems very polished. Great work!

6 Likes

Somehow my laptop decided to stop working while I was preparing the app for 1.0 release :pensive:. I guess I will be unproductive for a while…

Hi, can I make a suggestion? I would be great that when you are about to play a move you need to click the place where you want to play your stone and then click a button to accept it, I am suggesting this with the intention to minimize misclicks (since we are playing on a touchscreen).

Thanks

1 Like

Nvm is already like that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh :slightly_frowning_face: Good luck for getting a new one. Those M1 beasts are allegedly awesome, but I for one will wait for the next prod. series, when they have a little more experience, when they (hopefully) have ironed out the bugs in Bug Sur. I’m even skipping Kakalina.

1 Like

Hey I just tried the beta it seems to work pretty well. Just 2 observations. First it doesn’t make a sound when you place a stone it would be nice to have that feature, second I couldn’t find the analyze mode.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the feedbacks :slightly_smiling_face:. I have not gotten to implementing those features yet.

The sound is just a matter of finding a good sound file I can use so I might just sneak it in some time soon.

Analyze mode is a different story though, it’s high priority but might take a while (probably several months), because I want a design different from the one on OGS website, and it’s quite complicated to make.

1 Like

The contrary, thanks to you for doing the app. Maybe just add to see previous moves for now.

1 Like

Any idea when you will release the first App store version?

Probably next week, if everything goes well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to it. If you plan to monetize - please offer a version people can purchase outright and avoid Adverts. I find those very distracting when playing

7 Likes