Surround — iOS client for OGS

Version 1.1 is available, with my first attempt at implementing Zen mode :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Very nice ! A small suggestion: the zen mode should collapse the left menu on a big screen like an iPad automatically :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I really want to like this, but am struggling to find a reason why this is better than running as an iOS desktop shortcut (native app).

Things like variations shown on boards in chat?

It depends on what you want.
I like the notifications better than the email ones from OGS, I like the widget on iOS, and I like the fact that it is simpler in a way that makes me play more.

But I agree with you, I also have the webclient as a link on my “desktop” and it works very well, I use it as a plan B when the App is not working for some reason.

1 Like

Hey @Maverick_GO, guess that depends on what you are looking for… I for one also found myself playing more often since I started using the native client (Surround), as opposed to a WebApp.
Would you mind sharing on what iOS device you compared the two?

TIA,

Bart-Jan.

1 Like

I have an iphone11 I think?

You can find out in Settings > General > About.

Thank you. I wanted to make it collapse too but it was surprisingly hard to implement, since the framework I chose for the app (SwiftUI) did not support that functionality yet; so we might have to wait for iOS 15. :pensive:

Oh, please don’t struggle for this. If you find the desktop shortcut works better for you then you should definitely go for it. :slight_smile:

Currently, the app is best for correspondence games, since that was my focus for the first few releases. You can see that most of the unique features in the app like games carousel, notifications, widget are tailored for correspondence games. So if you don’t play correspondence games a lot then it is currently lacking in features compared to the web app. I expect that to change gradually as I am adding more features into the app to support other use cases.

Meanwhile, if you can figure out the reason why the desktop shortcut works better for you, please let me know. I also play correspondence games the most so my perspective on other features might be quite limited.

4 Likes

Ive been using it the last day or two. For correspondence, the issue of not having analysis is a downside. I think not having analysis was a limiting factor so I started playing some non-analysis live games and found the interface nice.

Creating custom games is challenging, there is a bug with the time control, each increment closes the menu. in general the UI for this seemed to take longer than the base web ui. Also custom game options arent saved or persistent, so each game needs to be configured from scratch. It might be nice to have some presets?

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Analysis is on the plan, but it will take some time to get there.

Version 1.1.1 released yesterday should have this bug fixed. Can you check it out?

This is a good point and is not very hard to add, so I think I will sneak it in soon. :sweat_smile:

Thank you very much for the feedbacks.

3 Likes

If and when you implement analysis, please keep the playback controls far away from the submit move button. Similarly to how you made the RESIGN button not dead center where your thumb falls. Lolol.

I’ll keep trying the app. Thanks!

1 Like

No worries, as there will be no submit move button when using analysis :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I thought it was over and was pretty sad. Just came back to this thread today and happy to see it on the store. Installing now…

2 Likes

Just found this gem of an app, it works great so far! I hope the development continues :blush:

2 Likes

I do hope you can sneak in some stone placement sounds soon. Playing a live game, I found I sometimes miss that my opponent played somewhere on the board where I wasn’t looking.

Also, any plans on browsing finished games through the app? Now I need to use the web to check if my opponent wrote something in the chat after the game is finished :relaxed:

2 Likes

Yes, it is in the plan.

I think I will also be able to add stone placement sounds soon.

2 Likes

Sounds great, very good job so far! What about having the option of adding user custom stone placement sounds, would that add unnecessary complications?

1 Like

Do you have a stone placement sound that you like? If its license allows, I can consider using it for the app since I am also looking for a good sound right now (my current choice is this one).

As for the custom sound option, currently I don’t have plans for it yet, maybe after I finish other features on the list first. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My favourite sounds are the OGS ones with room acoustics, they sound great with headphones :blush: But I guess those may be difficult to use depending on their licence?

The one you found so far is good though, a lot better that some I have heard in other apps…

2 Likes