Take the stone first or press the clock first ? (Real Board)

When we play Go with the real board and Clock. When taking the opponent’s stone, do we take the stone first then press the clock, or do we have to press the clock first and then take the opponent’s stone?
What are the rules?

Because it might have an effect on the condition when we take a lot of opponent stones while we only have a few seconds left on our clock.

4 Likes

For most rulesets, I’ve heard it stated that when collecting two or more stones you are permitted to pause the clock (not switch it to your opponent’s time.)

For one stone the etiquette is to collect first, then press the clock.

I’ve got to say, people who complain about sort of thing do irritate me a little. Like complaining about a chess player castling with both hands. We need to have some perspective.

3 Likes

On a tangent, I wonder if Fischer overtime provides a more natural experience.

With byo-yomi, you spend your main time and then enter overtime abruptly. With, say, 30m + 15s fischer you would be able to gain and lose time with a greater degree of control throughout the game.

3 Likes

thanks, new information for me, about pause the clock.

Yeeess !!! i knew about the “Castling with both hands” or capturing a piece with different hand. LOL. I Called it “Street Chess Rules” :crossed_fingers:

I’m a chess player too by the way since i was a little Kid. Still Active play in Chess.com

Back to the main topic, do you have a source about the Real Go professional Rules? I Mean we have FIDE Rules in Chess, that the highest Law for Chess Player. But what about Go?

Very good question. Go doesn’t have a single ruleset worldwide like the FIDE chess rules.
Instead, there are several closely-related sets of rules that differ in minor details but ultimately play similarly.

1. Chinese
  2. Japanese
  3. Korean
  4. Ing (used mainly in Taiwan)
  5. AGA (American Go Association)
  6. EGF (European Go Federation)
  7. New Zealand

All these rulesets are considered to govern the same game.

In contrast, there are also proper variants like Tibetan Go and Sunjang Baduk.

2 Likes

i knew about the different go Rules.

I mean the international rules about using the Clock.

But i get the point. Thank you !! :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 Like

Of course you finish your move first (and removing stones is part of your move) and then press the clock. Same in chess.

Because there can be a number of stones to remove professionals are very skilled at removing stones quickly. As if their hands suck out the stones from the board.

Can’t provide a good example or any references though.

1 Like

Sensei is about my age, but knows so much more c:

For how many stones may the clock be stopped?
EGF: 3
AGA: 2

5 Likes

If I get the chance I’ll check but I’m pretty sure that having consulted the EGF official tournament rules it is the case that you take prisoners before you press the clock with the exception that for more than three stones (maybe three or more) you can pause the clock. I have a feeling that this might have been only in overtime, i.e. if you are capturing a big group in main time then you just have to use your time doing it but if it’s in overtime you can pause.

1 Like

I would take so long trying to work out how to pause the clock that it wouldn’t be worth it :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Hecking found it. 6:02:00. Done by professional Ke Jie. To be fair, Ke Jie isn’t known for his good manners.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reference :smiley:

Great example from the Pro Match, Thanks to you. LOL, you’re right. I always enjoying the moment when Ke Jie Angry about something. Mostly of course when he made a mistake or he realised he was lose in Score. :smiley:

Wow! Seems strange seeing pros handle their own clocks. Usually they have people to handle their clocks for them in the games I get to see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to complicate matters for you, here Michael Redomnd discusses how sometimes written rules are to take away all captures before hitting the clock.

But interestingly enough the clock switches to alphaGo even before he is finished. Not even paused.

I don’t think AGZ was worried about time pressure :joy:

2 Likes

The rules of the Nihon-Kiin is that, you should take all your stones before stopping the clock (i.e. the “move” is defined as an action which is completed by taking the stones off the board (Nihon-Kiin rule article 5). Also, in Amateur tournaments that I attended, the referee reminds us of that rule, among other thing such as undo are not allowed, playing meaning less moves to force the opponent to time-out is not allowed, do not forget to pause the clock when calling for a referee to solve a problem, etc.etc.

3 Likes

I have seen this…its truly stunning…it must have been seven or so stones cleanly snatched from between the capturing stones with one hand in a single gesture

1 Like

Found the EGF rules. Remove the stones first, then press the clock except if removing three or more stones during overtime when the clock is paused while stones are removed. (I looked this up as TD for IRL tourney with fischer time. In that case there is not a clear distinction between main time and overtime so it’s not clear when the clock might be allowed to be paused to remove prisoners)

https://www.eurogofed.org/egf/tourrules.htm

2.2…Once the stone is played, any removal of the opponent’s stones is carried out. A move is completed by pressing the clock with the same hand that played the move…

5.4…The timing procedure for removing three or more stones in neutralised time is:

1. A player places the stone.
  2. The clock is now neutralised.
  3. According to the rules of play, the stones without liberty are removed.
  4. The player starts the opponent’s clock.
1 Like