Taking a break, gracefully

This September my holiday ended, and I suddenly have a lot of things to do and make a lot of preparations. I’m the kind of person who wants to do many things at the same time while generally being too lazy to accomplish all of them (any of them?), so I have decided to take a break from Go in an effort to put more time in graduating.

Sadly I have a dozen and a half of correspondence games open, since I hadn’t anticipated in January that I would be busy at this moment, nor did I expect these tournaments to take several years (to be frank this is a lie, I had expected the latter, but hadn’t thought of the consequences).

Now my problem is: how to resign my open games well-manneredly. I often dislike it when my opponents timeout, so I feel like just waiting for the games to resign themselves is a little disrespectful. On the other hand, I feel like resigning my games skews ranks more, which is perhaps inherently more disrespectful even than losing by timeout. I’m not worried about my own rank, since I don’t think rank is that important anyway, but still, I’ve seen many different opinions on this forum.

So what should I do? Or am I overthinking things anyway and does it not matter since this is the “don’t-care” internet?

3 Likes

How about … you talk to your opponents and let them chose? :smiley: It’s not like your bailout will break the Glicko

4 Likes

For me, the most important thing (as your opponent) would be knowing what’s going on.

Then the next thing would be not being deprived of a win if I’m actually winning.

If you mass-timeout on me and I am deprived of what looked credibly like a win, I would not view that well.

If you timeout without saying why, I would also not like that.

JA’s suggestiong of asking is pretty good, unless you have too many to have a conversation in each before you depart…

3 Likes

Thanks, that does indeed seem like a fair solution. I was planning on leaving a reason anyway, by the way.

I can resign the games I feel bad about and ask for the others what my opponent would prefer.

1 Like

They’re all tournament games except for 2-3 ladder challenges. In your case, I would formally resign from the tournaments; no one’s going to care why they got the win. As for the ladder challenges, you just tell it like it is and resign.

Your rank will take a hit, but when you come back you can just challenge people with your current rank for an even game and if you win enough of those you’ll be back in no time. The good thing about Glicko.

4 Likes

Funny thing about the ladder challenges is that my last opponent suddenly jumped from around #120 to #50, and I won that game, so resigning the other two games will equally propel my other two challenges (against opponents near #120) to the same place. One win got 4 people into the double digits then. This implies a lot of good team strategies to take over a ladder… :stuck_out_tongue:

(since when has smurph become Go Seigen?)

1 Like

I’ve decided to resign all games, but use the very adaptive glicko system to keep the “damage” as minimal as possible, by resigning them in order of how confident I am about losing the game.

2 Likes

Glicko batches its final calculations, so I don’t think it will care about the order…

Good point… Well, in that case the damage will be even more minimal, I suppose.

2 Likes

Maybe you should consider to drop out from the ladder at all. I suppose your first timeout in an upcoming challenge would drop you anyway. Staying on the ladder gives a free rank up to up to 3 players.

1 Like

Thanks, I just did.

1 Like

Sandbagger. :rofl:

2 Likes

I was in the same position. Had a lot of tournament and ladder games going and had to resign them all. My rank tanked which was probably actually a good thing to help be detach from it haha and I sent all my opponents a brief explanation.

Sorry to see you go. You were on my short list of people I was hoping to play. But your education certainly comes first. Good luck.

1 Like

Congratulations on your decision! I will be looking forward to your return, your interesting posts and insights.

Wishing you the best results in your studies,

– Musash1

1 Like

Take care, be well, much success with your enterprises, and … COME BACK!

2 Likes

Come back soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks you all, I’ll definitely come back when things settle down a bit!

2 Likes