Taking more time

What else is there? :wink:

4 Likes

Better get train to see your move without putting it on the board.

2 Likes

Simple and effective method of keeping the mouse hand busy with something nondestructive:

3 Likes

I guess I have a different sort of problem, where live game time controls creates such a feeling of anxiety that I much prefer to avoid them altogether and just play correspondence.

Then again, just playing go sometimes creates a sense of anxiety, so I just come to goof off on these forums.

9 Likes

Obviously credit to Chidori, The Empty Triangle, ca. 2010

10 Likes

I get this issue in internet games even anything 15 seconds and below I spend at least 10 seconds freaking out that I have less then 15 seconds to make a move before I click and hope I clicked the right spot.

I actually realized something with correspondence games recently that bothers me. When I play correspondence games it makes me feel like they are ā€œfilling my hunger for gamesā€. Which I donā€™t like because it takes away from the rush of playing live games. But, I donā€™t feel like playing when I have a bunch of correspondence games going that I have to focus on.

6 Likes

now Iā€™m just imagining a cuckoo clock chime after losing a byo-yomi period :joy:

on the general subject of using more time, I recently watched this Nick Sibicky video and was astounded by the behavior he described playing in tournaments: leaving the board and walking away for what sounded like 5, 10 minutes or even longer. itā€™s really hard for me to imagine doing that, even with 90 minutes to hours of main time. I would just be too anxious, although perhaps itā€™s the point

3 Likes

playing in tournaments: leaving the board and walking away for what sounded like 5, 10 minutes or even longer

I often do this ā€“ I like to spectate the other games.

2 Likes

What I prefer is to play at a go club: live games, with real boards and stones, and no clock. But because of Covid, Iā€™ve been to a go club like 3 times in one year.

1 Like

The closest go club to me is a 3 hour driveā€¦ and no family play sad times.

I personally donā€™t see a lot of this in either my or my opponentā€™s play: In fact, in tournaments I try to refrain from my usual habit of getting up and pacing, which I do sometimes when I play in club games. Not because I think Iā€™d play worse because I do that (Itā€™s a bit like stimming for me), but because I get nervous about if that would be disruptive. I have had one opponent go to the bathroom in the middle of the game (he had talked explicitly that was his goal), but other than that weā€™d usually stay by the board

2 Likes

Are you sure you are not doing that to project strength? Lol

1 Like

Sometimes my opponent gets up as well, or he gets up first and I get up later, and the table is left empty with neither of us at the board ^^

2 Likes

My club started doing zoom meetings few weeks ago. At the club we used to play without time limits. Now we play live on OGS using something like 10 minutes + 5x30 sec byoyomi.

Last year these would have been opposite settings for me, but actually we play comfortably with that. Itā€™s just a matter of getting used to it.

3 Likes