Tesuji puzzles

Why not?

Capture d'Ă©cran 2024-03-24 090323

2 Likes

Why not?

Because he said in his spoiler that this problem is more on the mid-SDK side and I usually get those wrong on the first try, when it comes to puzzles. :slight_smile:

So the answers are:
Top left: D10
Top right: M10
Bottom left: C5
Bottom right: J2

2 Likes
Answer to problem #2

Capture d'Ă©cran 2024-03-26 121026

3 Likes

Problem #3. Save the three black stones.

Capture d'Ă©cran 2024-03-26 120731

3 Likes

Does this work?

Screenshot_25

I was also talking about the image itself. It actually blurred it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think if white plays 6 at 7, black only gets a ko. So black should play at 7 earlier to avoid ko :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I can’t really tell which of the moves in the solution is the tesuji, or maybe that’s N14?
So it feels more like a reading challenge to me, somewhat similar to the Trouble Master puzzles of InSeong Hwang.

2 Likes

Quite a one way street

1 Like

I don’t know how to define “tesuji”. In this thread I plan to post problems in which the goal is well-defined, and which are tactical (involving local reading and contact moves). The problems I posted so far are from my games.

2 Likes

According to senseis a tesuji is “a clever play, the best play in a local position, a skillful move, a special tactic.”

I admit that this description is still a bit vague. Some technique or move may be clever/skillful/special for a 10k, but unremarkable for a 9d.
But I think it’s usually possible to point out which move is the tesuji in a puzzle (and even name it), even when the whole solution is 10 moves long.

1 Like

Tesuji is kind of key move, shiny move which comes more easely to mind when you studied them before. It’s often linked to shapes and they are somehow categorized by functionality and by shapes. Double keima connection on the edge, eye stealing tesuji, etc

Not all brilliant moves are tesuji which may help to define what is a tesuji. We refer to blind moves (cn:mangdian)(moves extraordinary hard to find because unusual, typical empty triangle, a solid connection and much more ) or by more globally brilliant moves (jp:myushu)
 Some moves which looks like a tesuji but are not that well working called imosuji

3 Likes

So here I’d say that N14 is the tesuji, since it’s a double threat to (capture O14) or (capture N15 or connect to H15).

3 Likes

It’s at least a good key move.

I’m not sure that will change the denomination as tesuji. Being obvious or obscure won’t change the nature of the move.

Why not just K15, J15, K16, J16, K17. black still has 4 liberties so cut on J18 is a threat, but if white stops it then L16 capturing at least 2?

Right?

Why don’t positions like this come up in my games? :smiley:

Update: Hmm, I see that others found a different and more complex sequence, but I don’t see why mine doesn’t work. Can’t argue with an atari can you?

Update 2:

I guess the upper edge is in fact a red herring, since white can set up a ko as @antonTobi says, the only relevant purpose of K17 is hemming in the white stones on the right. Me bad.

Can N14 be played as the first move? I think so, but that makes it ambiguous as a problem. I’d prefer to set the position after the 4 moves K15, J15, K16, J16 instead, then N14 is the only right move as I now understand.

–
Ian

1 Like

Your sequence is a bit like Jeth Orensin’s and leads to a ko if Black K17 is followed by White N14, Black J18, White J19.

1 Like

In French we sometimes call them “tesuji français”.

2 Likes

In the Netherlands we might call that a Belgian tesuji.

1 Like

Haha, and what do the Belgians call it?
A dutch tesuji?

2 Likes