Tesuji puzzles

I intend this to be a topic to post puzzles that are more in the tesuji category than in the tsumego category, the difference being that tesuji are more broad puzzles focusing on connecting/cutting than puzzles specifically about making/breaking eyes.

An example:

These are 4 puzzles, roughly in the 4 quadrants of the board (ordered top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right). It’s black’s turn in all of them.
I consider the puzzle in the top right to be a tsumego puzzle, but the other three are tesuji puzzles.

Please use the anti-spoiler feature when you post answers:

And then:

8 Likes

BTW, I think my example is roughly 20k-10k level.

For the lower right one, if a mid SDK player plays that shape correctly in a real game I would be impressed and consider it really well done.

2 Likes

So would I, but I think it’s common for players to be able to find a solution in a puzzle that they wouldn’t find in their actual games.

1 Like

May I add another dimension to these puzzles?
Since they are all on one board, they could also represent a board situation some where in a game.
In what move order should this meta puzzle be solved?

BTW: If you search for “tesuji” in the puzzles section, you will find more than 8 pages of tesuji puzzle collections.

1 Like

Done but i will wait answers from players of the aimed range of level.

@hexahedron nice new feature i discover thanks to you. (this hidden text)

just to try

2 Likes

I don’t get the lower-right one :frowning: Probably I need a hint as to what objective I should look for.

The others are nice.

Ian

1 Like

I wonder too where the lower left ends and the lower right puzzle begins.
:smile:

1 Like

Doesn’t matter

3 Likes
The objective of the fourth puzzle is

to connect the two black groups

@jlt hint is quite spoiling , please try mine first.

hint

This move is a step up from low kyuish moves. With a good grasp on tesuji and shape it should come in a flash when looking at the position.

1 Like

I think I got it now, but I’ll have to set up a physical board to make sure. Thanks!

1 Like

If you want to try these puzzles in an interactive environment, click here.

No correct answer supplied there yet.
So everything lights up red.
:kiss:

1 Like

I imagine a solution of a puzzle to be rolled back before solving another puzzel on the same board, so the order shouldn’t matter. But I would solve them in the order top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right.

Hint 1: multi-purpose move
Hint 2: double threat
Hint 3: double peep

Indeed it doesn’t matter, but for clarity I added a white stone at D1 and I drew a blue line to mark the boundary:

Problem #2, White to play. About 10k level.

Capture d'écran 2024-03-23 120211

4 Likes
hint

Beware of liberties shortage. The solution is a quite short sequence.

I am now worried the answer is not J2

@gennan those are very nice. Well done!

3 Likes

That was also my answer, so I’m also worried now!

1 Like

Hum, there are bit more kind of tesuji even if we exclude life and death

• tesuji for optimizing endgame
  • tesuji for squeezing
  • tesuji to push the opponent to make a decision

I guess I forget more kinds
Shuko in its dictionnary of tesuji goes to the extrem to qualify tesuji as almost all the good moves played in a game but that’s bit over our common interpretation of the word.

3 Likes

area reducing tesuji

1 Like