Tesuji puzzles

E18

1 Like

Disclaimer:

This is the most blurry topic ever.

1 Like

:eyeglasses:
Sans titre

Wow that’s a big difference from my Katago!

Anyway, even if we ignore the percentage difference, the difference in the purpose between these two moves is quite significant. One gives white an eye in sente, one only gives white half an eye. So I would say the difference is quite big!

1 Like

Problem #9

Black to play and eventually capture at least the E16 cutting stones (I know, that is already a slight hint):

I suppose it suffices to show the first move, but if you want you can add a couple of continuation diagrams as further proof that you solved it.

5 Likes

Yes, joseki and haengma often seem to overlap, and in ways different to typical local capturing or life and death tesuji, so it’s nice to be able to see some of tose too, and nice to learn interesting and common joseki variation/punishments in any case. ^^

Ooh, new and interesting puzzle !

F13 ^^

Very nice tesuji in a potential blindspot ! ^^

4 Likes

Problem #10

(Inspired by @fuseki3’s last blurred comment)

Perhaps it’s more a tsumego puzzle because it concerns making/breaking an eye.

Black to play.

1 Like

It’s a classic (C8).

4 Likes

Problem #11

Black to play. No hint this time.

I suppose it suffices to show the first move.

4 Likes

N 14

2 Likes
Answer to problem #9

I think this is the most interesting variation (white shortage of liberties for her E16 stones):

Other white reponses than white G14 will eventually lead to black capturing the E16 cutting stones in a short ladder with black J12 if white persists in trying to save those E16 cutting stones, like this:

1 Like
More on #9

The key gotcha to #9 to highlight is if you play the tempting atari first, and then throw in, you might indulgently assume white will capture and you play the delicious squeezy ladder, but white can then answer throw in with extend and your inside group doesn’t have enough liberties for j12 slow surround. So you need to throw in first, because depending how white answers you change between d14 and e14. Go is order of moves, as Rin Kaiho said!

3 Likes

An easy one. Problem #12, Black to play.

64040055-252-252-5000

3 Likes
Answer to Problem 12

The diagonal move A8 is the obvious answer. The only difficulty is to count liberties and check that it works.

Problem #13, White to play. Black is threatening to capture some white stones, can White save them all?
64075678-165-165-1500

Answer

Capture d'écran 2024-05-20 055703

1 Like

black to play

3 Likes

Interesting puzzle from a real game (modified slightly to make the position clearer)

White to play ^^

2 Likes
Not sure, I can't read the followup

T14 threatens T12 and S17?

1 Like

If I’m reading correctly, the solution is simpler than that.

1 Like
Oops of course

T12 T12 T9 and then Black can’t T10 since it’s atari.

3 Likes