Thanks for sharing the love, please stop?

I got this message pop up today: “Thanks for sharing the love! You only have a few likes left for today.”

This feels contradictory. If there is a limit, there is clearly an implied problem with, I guess, “like spamming” or something? I feel like I’ve done something wrong by incurring this limit. I checked the FAQ to see if I missed a point of etiquette:

Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: favorites, bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.

Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button.

I thought that’s what I was doing…

A limit should be mentioned if it’s intentional. Maybe it’s just a bug? For obvious reasons, please forgive if I don’t thank helpful answers with a like!

6 Likes

It’s a part of Discourse. I do sometimes find it annoying, but aside from limiting how much I can binge previous threads in a day (since I have to stop for the day when I run out of likes), it also makes likes more meaningful. Not by much, since the limit is pretty high, but at least a little, so overall I like it

5 Likes

Why didn’t you like my post tho

6 Likes

Discourse has a scale thing. By:
Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
Casting at least 1 like
Receiving at least 1 like
Replying to at least 3 different topics
Entering at least 20 topics
Reading at least 100 posts
Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts

You get 1.5x more likes among other things

5 Likes

See

5 Likes

Now I feel bad that I’ve been stingy with my likes, since I’ve never gotten such a message.

9 Likes

Likes are great! Give more Likes! :smiley:

4 Likes

Ah, even your member card shows it when I click your name and hover the mouse over “Our of Love” :laughing:

You know, it’s actually a Badge of Honour :blush:

Just keep on keepin’ on … don’t let that ever discourage you from sharing the love :slightly_smiling_face: and after binge-reading, maybe it’s time to go to bed anyway …?

And maybe that’s all part of “leveling up” in Discourse …

BTW, a decade or more ago, in the L19 forum, I’ve once been accused (albeit jokingly) of “carpet liking” :smile:

G’night!

6 Likes

Time to have a little look on discobot?

1 Like

Isn’t too much love self devaluating?

1 Like

Test: Can @discobot help here?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

IMHO there is no such thing as “too much love”.

But “too little self-love” is indeed a thing, like … not setting healthy borders, neglecting own needs, etc.

But that’s usually a topic in and for therapy, not in a Go forum :slight_smile:

OTOH … on the board, these things do make sense, no? :smile:

1 Like