The 13 x 13 thread

Oh, I was very happy to have killed the top, but even before that, while I was busy misreading the bottom, I was apparently ahead, like here:

1 Like

It looks like black was going for some center territory. But the center is not very big on 13x13, so when black gives 3 corners in exchange for the center on 13x13, chances are that black will fall short on points.

4 Likes

A recent even practice/teaching game I played with a young player on 13x13: undefined vs. undefined

Ofcourse there is a significant gap between our levels, but I did nothing fancy and I didn’t exploit any defects of my opponent’s shapes.

But black was just not interested in securing any corner territory in the early game, so white got 4 corners to take a terriorial lead.

Black got the center and even a decent amount of territory on the lower side, but it just wasn’t enough.

5 Likes

I’ve played three high-playout KataGo 13 x 13 games (all in the same file). The second game turned out a bit more complicated and exciting than the first one (30 moves longer, too). For a while it looked like a white win was in the cards. Move 53 was the highlight for this 10 kyu :smiley: In the end, all three games ended as draws. Shoutout to game 3, move 66 as well.

1 Like

Hi,
I think 13x13 is such a natural progression from 9x9 that I am surprised at some of the views in this thread.
Only playing Go for a month or two. Learnt the basics on 9x9, great for quick games which you need when you are being beating a lot ,LOL, but to jump straight away to 19x19 to me would seem foolish, to stay on 9x9 would be missing out on how Go needs to be played so 13x13 seems so obvious as an intermediate step.
p42

4 Likes