The all-in-one democratic game

Or o6?

Actually something like L15 or K15 also seems appealing

3 Likes

White O6 is appealing to me, because it helps Whites weakest group and limits Blacks potential on the bottom at the same time. Black may answer with N4, which solidifies the bottom territory.

I wonder if White can invade at or around K4 right now. The peep at H4 is available for getting some shape.

Playing at the top seems also more and more interesting to me. However I fear that, if White invests a move there, the bottom side might be out of reach for White once Black presses with P6.

3 Likes

white has strong position, 1 space jump is too little

1 Like

I think that if we’re going to play on the bottom side, we shouldn’t go higher than the fourth line.

Let’s invade, not reduce.

2 Likes

Sounds like two weak groups which can be hurt by playing between them.

4 Likes

My first question is should we add a stone to w lower right group? Because due to the position, black would get good reward by pressuring it.
If so, what move? R9 looks a bit risky. N6 a bit slow.hum. Still N6 at best.

1 Like

I’m not easily seeing where the potential is for significant white points, whereas Black has already taken cash under strong groups.

If we give away the bottom side without serious dispute then I’m worried that White won’t be able to catch up. We do have the vague “proto-moyo” in the top half of the board, but to call that points is optimistic right now.

2 Likes

Well D14 would be a good starting move for that

I think tengen is bigger move than d14 now

2 Likes

Invade where exactly?
If I try let say N3 (with follow up at J3 for a base ?) hum… I’ll have to assume two weak groups (with the one on the right) and seems a bit overplayed but ok if succeed it put a lot of blacks potential points away. I won’t go that way myself.

White to play, please vote!

• D14
  • N6
  • O6
  • K4
  • K10
  • K15
  • L15

0 voters

And as always, feel free to comment or vote or suggest (or all :heart_eyes:) even if you just discovered our democratic game

Hum… Almost forgot… @Haze_with_a_Z

2 Likes

Coming back to the suggestions, I’d rather play O6 as N6 locally because I think w will better do with a more solid move in a hostile context. Not to mention that O6 is a better eyes generator.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll break the tie and switch to O6.

N6 allows a meaningful ladder after wN6, bP6 P7, bO7 O6x, bP5 O8x. Having that bad ladder aji linger on the board will dampen our chances of surrounding large-scale territory in the upper centre.

2 Likes

Here’s what I did to weigh O6 against N6.

If white plays as proposed, black can comfortably get many points by simply defending.

With the 2-space jump, white wants to get ahead.

The cut is some concern, but even if the ladder does not work for white, we get a good fighting chance.

4 Likes

I think the cut would go 4-3-2-1 rather than 1-2-3-4.

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking about the other attach

And either of these variations that I’m unsure about

3 Likes

Congrats lads, we just broke into the top ten longest threads.

We pushed out the fourth werewolf game, which had been in the tenth spot since July 11.

This is the third longest Go-related thread, if you count Go Memes and Go Zendo. I think it’s also the youngest thread in the top ten longest.

3 Likes

Time for suggesting black move.

At this stage, my eyes are shifting to the top part, black bottom being a bit hurt, time for reciprocity. I still miss D14 but maybe it’s to slow. What about starting a fight with let say k17?

I stand by my previous suggestion of N5.

Moyos are commonly to be reduced on the sector line.
If we can claim that line for ourselves with white playing above, we can rest content with having made the most of our potential.
This is the fruits of our attack on white.

4 Likes