What a good choice!

3 Likes

It’s funny how often the voting comes down to
“Risky - but let’s see what happens” VS “Sound & sensible”

3 Likes

bug

5 Likes

3 Likes

Sincerely, back to the game F8 looks wise but I can’t imagine that black get G9 himself. It’s like he’s going to finish the upper level of his supermarket.

Time to call our joker? @claire_yang

1 Like

When I voted I thought I was playing as black, but it looks fine for white as well :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I feel like there’s a Go Proverb about this… ; )

4 Likes

You all know I love fighting and thrive on the chaos, so obviously, I’d expect white to hane and black hane back, and then white cut.

And sorry for the long silence on the forum, I was just finishing my mid-term. And slip into exhausted and want to relax mode.

7 Likes

Nice seeing you back here

2 Likes

Sometimes democracy is a bit harsh for almost half of the voters but at least we got a very high participation!

So White F8 wins the poll!

Black to play, time for brainstorming.

2 Likes

black can’t tenuki or white will attack this shape with double force

1 Like

G8 looks good to me, linking up black’s group and expanding the lower side moyo.

2 Likes

Maybe now is finally the right time for Tengen

1 Like

and what if white answers with G7 ?

1 Like

When I step a bit around 9k, one of the understanding which help me to break through was that I realized how stupid and impossible some of my tenukis were, especially in josekis.

Here one of these crucial move you can’t afford to go play somewhere else

Just evaluate the difference between the positions.

Now back to the game, I have hard time to chose between G8 and G9

4 Likes

With G8 I imagine this fairly clean sequence (perhaps white should even avoid the 2-3 exchange):

I think that looks fine for black and I don’t see how white can resist strongly. That’s why I felt that white F8 was too soft.

When black moves more slowly with G9, I feel black has less control over the continuation. I worry that white can make it harder for black to connect cleanly. Even if white responds very calmly like this …

… I feel that black’s center position is still quite thin.

A potential reason to reject G8 is when white’s wedge is good for white:

But at this point black can consider to treat the E11 stones lightly:

After all, those E11 cutting stones would not be very valuable anymore, because white already secured his left side group after move 4, so black 5 can take profit by solidifying and expanding black’s lower side moyo, weakening white’s lower right group and gaining aji in white’s upper side moyo.

3 Likes

looks too peaceful

1 Like

Indeed, white resisting strongly to G9 could get messy.
I merely tried to show that I don’t even like G9 if white responds passively.

1 Like

with black H8 similar shape can be achieved

w2

That’s true, but H8 is less forcing than G8 and black’s shape is thinner. White can wait and choose later between G9, H9, H7, G6 or some move around J6 or some move around F6. All that aji would make me feel uneasy with black, so I would feel a need to come back and fix that aji pretty soon.

The most peaceful continuation by white might be:

That wouldn’t be very different from this:

Except white decides in the 1st diagram, while black decides in the 2nd diagram and black’s E11 stones are more safely connected in the 2nd diagram (and perhaps white’s left side group is slightly less secure in the 2nd diagram).