The all-in-one democratic game

As usually there are less partipants on week end and we have only two contributions until now, i propose to wait until monday or until more discussion come in.
According to the two suggestions, it’s not like we are lacking choices, as both are a local tenuki and going through a global evaluation of the board.

So i hope it will give some more inspiration!

Happy gaming!

Side note, i am happy that we join again. New players are warmly welcome to give ideas too, whatever your level is.

2 Likes

Black to play, please vote !

• G 13
  • L 16
  • O 7
  • Q 8

0 voters

More suggestions always welcome.

1 Like

L 16 wins the poll!

White to play, time for giving your ideas

What harm can black do if white just plays N12?

3 Likes

If Black follows with another move at K17 or M17, can it make 2 eyes along the top edge?

2 Likes

Here’s the threat as I see it:

L16 made aji. But the aji isn’t for living locally; it’s for affecting the position left of it. Suppose Black cuts at 1 as discussed and White answers at 2. Black 3 would become really big and dangerous. It’s hard for White to play elsewhere because Black can follow up with 13 after cutting. (White 4-8 is a sample tenuki; White could tenuki anywhere with the same consequence.) L16 affects the life-and-death situation after these shenanigans (or similar ones).

Under the circumstances, the distant reply @Jon_Ko suggested makes a lot of sense here. I’d suggest M13 rather than N12, which seems greedy. Good local plays would be M16 to fight hard or M17 to get tough. And I have no idea which one is the best choice here.

2 Likes

I assumed, that black should be able to, when I voted for L16. Black has forcing moves against the left (as @mark5000 pointed out) and the center, but actually I would neither be confident playing black nor white in that fight.

So I guess black is happy with getting C18 in sente? I can see it’s not as forcing without L16 and G13 and it gives black’s group more eye-space, which increases the aji around black’s D7 stones.

1 Like

M 16 looks natural move to me but i can’t really anticipate what come next.
I found all previous comments quite inspiring btw.

1 Like

K17 seems natural. White stays strong and it seems like black will have to leave L16 light for a possible reduction.

3 Likes

White to play please vote!

• K17
  • M13
  • M16
  • M17
  • N12
  • ​Another move, please tell us.

0 voters

Collective game open to everyone at anytime, suggesting and voting too. You play both colors; telling us the way you think in each position is very welcome!

5 Likes

If you want to use it for showing us your variations(¹) and suggestions:

new demo of the game
-doesn’t include all the variations and polls we had before black L16 (move 81)

old demo for moves before L16
-outdated, for archive
Warning The link in the very first opening post cannot be changed anymore so it’s still the old demo there.

Thanks for participating, welcome to all newcomers, don’t forget to vote if you didn’t yet and… have fun!

(¹): Nothing compulsory but for easier management, try to give a name or label to each of them.

I think we can kill them all! Shared a variation in the demo.

8 Likes

Warm welcome Artem, so nice to have your participation!

Note for newcomers: it’s possible to modify your vote, whenever you want and as many times as you want too, but before the deadline of the poll of course. Easy to do, switch back and change.

4 Likes

I kind of want to see how M13 pans out now, so I’ll swap to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If M13, black may try the other side, because it may have a bit more aji. Maybe this?

It’s difficult for me to find the strongest continuation for both. Sofar, I suspect that black may be able to get a ko:

A ko may be playable for black, because black seems to have ko threats in the lower left and lower right and maybe around G13. White doesn’t seem to have that many ko threats, so a ko would be heavy for white, I think.

Nevertheless, M13 is a very interesting move.

7 Likes

My 2nd diagram may be invalid because white may have a stronger move for 5. I think this white counter is very difficult to handle for black.

10 Likes

I guess the other side might be more promising for Black. There is slightly more space and even some cutting point at G13.

6 Likes

White M13 wins the poll.

Black to play time for your idea and suggestion!

demo

3 Likes

Given the reading that was done 2-3 responses above this one, it feels like it’s better for Black to push left (K16, K17) rather than right (M16, M17). I feel like Black has more forcing moves / cutting points on the right at this point

1 Like

My opinion is that from what i read before black has to worry even more as just which side to play… And not only be creative but a bit precise too.