The Conquest of Go - A Videogame featuring Go Gameplay

Wow you kidding I can totally imagine the amount of gamer thinking “I only play hard modes” and choose KataGo opponent and…
1 minute silence for those new to Go :cry:

7 Likes

Sorry for the late reply here, it’s been quite a hectic day. The Steam Discussion boards are the best place to submit bug reports for now. I’m not sure specifically for your issue if this will help, but I did just post a patch that should fix a few things related to the AI issues people have been having. I will be building another patch tomorrow to catch a few more things.

Thanks a lot! I’m glad you are enjoying it.

Haha, hopefully if they’re just learning the rules they’ll know better than to jump into the deep end.

5 Likes

Maybe with 9 stones handicap you could play a KataGo tower defense.

2 Likes

I thrashed gnugo while waiting for Katago to load, then Katago thrashed me on level1 on every board 9x9, 13x13, 19x19 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You don’t stomp on Superman’s cape (nuh huh)
You don’t spit into the wind (oh no)
You don’t pull the mask off the Ol’ Lone Ranger and
You don’t try to beat Katago in an unhandicapped 19x19, unless you’re like an 8dan pro

7 Likes

I mean I will try :slight_smile: But if the campaign has auto-handicap games then I’ll go with that :slight_smile:

Some good ol’ music :slight_smile: Still missing Jim Croce.

I just used a lot of money(a lot to me but probably nothing to u Guys)so I could not buy it

1 Like

I want to be a 10pro to do all these.

I guess this goes here

13 Likes

Also “In sente” channel did a review

4 Likes

For people who don’t want to search. :wink:

12 Likes

I got it! I played just a few games so far. I want to Gift this to a few friends interested in learning go, but I’m going to check out more of the tutorials and offer feedback. My initial impression is that the tutorial section needs more super simple practice puzzles, like very easy one-move tsumego.

I’ll get on the Steam boards this weekend.

Edit: Actually, maybe the atari-visual means it’d be more like two-move tsumego to capture, and one-move to live.

2 Likes

I’ve been so tied up working around the clock trying to fix bugs and implement and suggestions that I haven’t had much of a chance to stop by streams/YouTube videos yet, but I definitely intend to in the future. I’m trying to get ahead of things before there are too many complaints in the reviews. For now I’m just happy to see that some of the Go content creators decided to pick it up. Thanks for posting the videos here.

7 Likes

Might be a little off topic, but will this be ported to other systems, especially Nintendo Switch?

Iam not complain but, It should’ve a scenario or story so it become more engaging to attract newcomers to play GO…

1 Like

I tried it in Proton in Linux and it runs, though the graphics and sound is a bit glitchy. Can’t say how much it is that I’m running on a ThinkPad with internal Intel graphics, how much is potential issues with Wine, and how much is the pre-release status of the game.

I’ll give it a go again once it is fully released I guess. If it would run a bit better on my computer I think it would be a nice interface for online play, at least if some of the more over-the-top graphical enhancements were optional.

Update: Saw some screenshots and comments on the store page showing the same glitches using certain of the themes, so tried it again switching to another theme, and it worked a lot better. So, it might be that it’s working just as well as in Windows (and a few glitches is understandable in a pre-release game).

1 Like

The gray over white letters in that specific font are a bit difficult for me and that was the first thing I noticed. I’ll play around a little bit more with customization and come back.
I lost against GNU unceremoniously, my defense is I was just doing a test game. :wink:

1 Like

Russian players check out the game too.

Igor Burnaevskiy 6d is famous for empty triangles. In the stream you can see his spiral into despair as he’s trying to win against progressively weaker KataGo version.

5 Likes

I love the initial confidence to start off with level 8. That and only to go down a level step by step.

I watched a bit of this stream (I’ve seen him stream live on twitch a couple of times too).
He was much more conservative starting on level 2 before quickly moving to level 1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes