The Go League Briefing

Linux, maybe I misunderstood, but in your earlier post you asked “how will it be financed,” with reference to the league. It was you who brought up money in the first place. I don’t think anyone here is “expecting to be paid” for teaching, though it would be nice if the community were able to show their gratitude to the most active teachers with a reward of some kind (doesn’t have to be monetary).

Also, with regard to teaching, I agree that in the 21st century there are many avenues for learning new skills. And I agree that dan players offering their time and knowledge to help us weaker players get better is both appropriate and extremely helpful. Nevertheless, while there may be a sense of obligation, there is obviously no coercion. There is no way to guarantee any given number of dan reviews unless a few people step up and publicly commit to teaching, which hopefully will happen. Some people are already leading by example and I think there will be more. As the saying goes “If you build it they will come.”

You may have more teachers available on KGS but it’s a more established server. I think OGS has the potential for an even better teaching community but we have to start somewhere. In your original post you seemed to me to be asserting that the nova league was worthless unless we already had a team of dans committed to giving reviews. I think it’s still worthwhile even without that, but I also think we’ll get those teachers eventually.

1 Like

I think that @LinuxGooo is confused about what is the Nova League now that it’s an entity independant from the KGS ASR.

The ASR league was advertised for some time, then the project was cancelled, thread titles have changed, the organisation of the league is different, we don’t know much about the system that is being developped…etc. All this adds to the confusion.

Linux, you need to understand that the Nova League will not be THE league on OGS. It will be one league amongst others. From what I managed to gather I believe any group admin will be able to create his own league… It just a means of adding fun and another way to compete in live games.

So Mikasa will have the Nova league, but you can have a sanrensei league.
They are not trying to build THE ultimate study league on OGS that will need to be perfectly organised.

See it as a group ladder but with live games. (until we get an official update from the devs)

4 Likes

[quote=“LinuxGooo, post:25, topic:2085”]
By the way, its not your job, sefo to make the things of “another go league” clear.
[/quote] Why such an unfriendly reply (IMNSHO) to somebody who tried to clarify things for you in a friendly way?
I don’t see the need to deny other people their obsessions while following ours

Cordially, Tom

2 Likes

@LinuxGooo, good spelling and grammar will help you articulate your ideas better.

1 Like

[quote=“xhu98, post:27, topic:2085”] good spelling and grammar will help you articulate your ideas better.[/quote]Please remember that LG’s is not a native speaker of English :wink:

Cordially, Tom

2 Likes

LOL, “Harpies, all of them!”

I would like to ask if there’s any preliminary starting date for this now?
and… what are the current issues?

(as i somehow don’t find alot of the above comments actually … ehgm… relevant, even if some are adressing potential issues etc… )

1 Like

@Yazphier, before this thing can get started, the league system needs to be introduced. Our lovely devs are working on it, so we have to wait for it. Then: party.

1 Like

ah, yea, of course ^^

Hello everyone, Too start I want to address the ongoing arguing here… please take it to another forum page or create your own… you are making it very very difficult for players to read the comments -_- I do not want to see anymore of it or I will start flagging comments.

Okay, now I am going to post this comment so everyone understands about the league a bit of insight why the name has changed. It will be a bit of a go story!

When I joined KGS I was searching for a place I could help out players because I was taught karma. The place I came upon after finally getting an answer out of the english chat room was Advanced Study Room. I tried to join there league system but after a week I was not accepted into the league. None of the admins had been checking for new players it was very sad so I applied to be an admin of Advanced Study Room on KGS hoping to speed up the process. Upon joining I learned some of the admins were not doing there job properly. Over a course of time I noticed a few flaws such as the admins were not doing there job properly which causes a mass lazyness in the entire league system, and that the league was not competitive for dan players I had more then 5 dan players drop out of the league in a week! Then when our dan players were gone our kyu complained then the top kyu would leave because it wasn’t competitive or learning for them anymore either since they didn’t have a teacher now for the league. I worked hard on fixing this situation but was not possible. I eventually found my way to OGS and came too like it very much. I later had the idea to bring Advanced Study Room to OGS. I think it is an amazing place because there are so many beginner players! Later down the line I started getting opinions as the league system got closer to being released and I got some news one of my Advanced Study Room friends quit the mod team and I won’t go into detail but he had a very good reason. A big problem was the Advanced Study Room was starting to fade away and everywhere it went it had baggage. A friend made me a very good suggestion he said “Maybe, ASR should die” I didn’t know what to think of its a good statement. Advanced Study Room has been around for a long time and it has been carrying a lot of baggage some players will even go to other sites and criticize it of being the same exact thing. Now I want to clear something up before I go on… I did not change the league system because of this the league method I am using has been my idea since I decided to bring the league here so even if the name didn’t change this was still the system I planned to use. So anyway, so I decided to change the name to The Nova League I won’t be receiving help from the original ASR which is fine but, they do serve as the inspiration for creating the league here to me!

7 Likes

Ok - How to apply and when does it start? :slight_smile: I’ve decided to concentrate my skills in one field and chose GO over LoL (didn’t have a team, and still needed more skill :stuck_out_tongue: )

Rooting for you @Mikasa !

1 Like

Hey ZyBeX86 no set date of when it starts and soon I will be hosting a sign up for it :)! I will make sure to inform in the forum !

So, now that the new update has rolled out. Any idea when the league will be starting? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ahahah Fairgo never forgets :smile:

@Fairgo @Marnoris I am working on the webpage. For the actual league, we might have to wait for the next league system update…Otherwise, we can still keep track of the individual games (and collect them together for the league results,) but that is a little more work. :wink:

2 Likes

The league update has not come yet I think but like xhu said he is working on the actual webpage so we can start getting people signed up ^^!

I agree. Also I think at least five minutes should be dropped from the main time. It seems a bit long

Or maybe there can be an optional range of time settings the games can be played with, if both players agree? Back when I was in the ASR League the range was usually 30-45 min main time with 5x30 sec byo-yomi.

We are actually going to do voting on time settings for each month but we already chose a time setting for the first month this way the settings for the tournament are not the same everytime BUT it will not be blitz or absolute… OR correspondence