The New Nova League. Reopening June 15

i was thinking it was along the lines of only getting the extra points for reviewing your own games, not the games of others. although if we make a seperate review only point system where the most helpful tnl members are acknowledged for their reviewing capabilities then i think that would work too. but if we’re going to go that far, let’s take it a step further and introduce a teaching game ladder too.

I don’t see much point in reviewing one’s own games.
5+ rank difference is about the right region.

i agree that points for reviews is a bit risky

but i think the goal would be to reward people ® who invest the time into helping lower ranked
players (L) with the chance to play slightly stronger players (S) than they would otherwise

and while yes, this isn’t as great for (S), hopefully they understand that this is
a good opportunity to teach ® and encourage the growth of (L) as well (without
having to suffer through a teaching game with (L)

hopefully, since (S) is likely to beat ®, then there is some correction built in

if the difference between (S) and ® becomes too great, then the whole thing becomes a waste of (S)s time

if ® just goes through some pro-forma motions with (L) to get points, then the system
doesn’t work either

so, the details matter, but it does seem like having some context to encourage stronger
players to instruct weaker players, either directly or transitively, is a good goal

1 Like

Great job, thanks!

I am just really against the 45 minute minimum, that will make the games very long and afterward we are going to have to review too? I just don’t have the time to sit down for 2 hours. I hope you’ll consider a shorter time setting

@Shaharyar - Actually the 45-minute minimum is one of the things we have decided to have…Many users have expressed the desire to make TNL different from normal tournaments/live games on OGS. We strive to be a place where players can sit down and enjoy the rush-free unfolding of the game :smile:

However, you can still vote for your favorite time setting in the upcoming poll; the most popular option will be elected as the time setting for the new cycle, so be sure to make your voice heard! :sunny:

1 Like

So what’s the point of the time zones? I tend to be most able to play during the working day in the US, while most of my opponents that would be based in the US would prefer to play in the evenings. If I sign up in the US time zone, will that have any bearing on when my games are actually scheduled? Would it make more sense for me to sign up for Euro zone?

T

drQuantum, I’m in the same situation. Signed up for European zone.

Actually what’s kind of funny is for the first two weeks of the new league period I’ll be in Japan, and there only really able to play in the evening JST… but probably I’ll sign up for European zone anyway. I was just wondering if there was any set rule about when games needed to be played, or if it’s just a general idea with the assumption that most people play in their local evening hours.

2 Likes

And what with final scores of TNL May 2015? And badges? I want my badge :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: