The Online-Go.com user interface is now open source :)

Excellent! Thank you! I don’t know if I’m up to your coding standards but… there are a few things I’ve been thinking about :wink:

2 Likes

Great stuff - what language is used?

2 Likes

It’s better to start discussion from the better version, which I believe was previous one. To be honest the design was ok for me, I enjoyed playing. This one makes me frustrating.

I don’t think rollback is an option. Also the goal is to develop OGS to new glory, not to discuss how you feel about the last update.

5 Likes

This is a very positive and forward thinking decision guys. I understand why you want to keep the back end under tighter wraps. One query - would you consider making the game data for non-private games open source too? It would open up some very interesting opportunities in the way of Go research and AI.

1 Like

They’ve actually always been available! It’s still on the todo list to have some better bulk download options available, but several people have put together scripts to download the games they are interested in already. (Part of the v5 effort was to make that process nicer on the servers)

4 Likes

Typescript

2 Likes

This is incredibly impressive.

It also means I now have to put up or shut up when I complain about the UI… well played, OGS. Well played indeed.

6 Likes

I guess this could potentially open OGS up to a new era of custom themes.

3 Likes

Wait, what??? does this mean someone could make a website just like this one without any hassle?? Guys. this webstie is great, shouldn’t you like protect all your hard work?

3 Likes

Well the back end isn’t open source. Someone would have to do a ton of work to create their own back end if they wanted to use this front end to go with it. And this way OGS can benefit from the many people with programming talent that are willing to do some work on the site for free.

6 Likes

Definitely the right decision to open the source guys, congratulations!

OGS = Open Go Server

5 Likes

This is the coolest thing I’ve read so far today, at least! Wish I had more spare time to hack on this at this moment but this is a brilliant step that will, if it catches on, make you the de-facto standard for Go on the internet.

Congratulations on this big step!

3 Likes

Is there a test server that we can connect to for development purposes? I’d be excited to get into the code!

2 Likes

Yes check the readme. If you git clone the repo, you run ‘npm install’ then ‘npm run dev’ and connect to the address in the readme, and it’ll run you on beta server using your own UI with changes you are testing. :smiley:

8 Likes

you can think whatever you want, I am just describing my opinon. Going for glory without customer satisfaction is a way in nowhere.

1 Like

Thanks

2 Likes

huh. look at that lib/ogs-goban/ScoreEstimator.ts, just sitting there, its not even
paying attention to make sure no one sneaks up on it

6 Likes

Fair warning, i’m not sure how much of that code is actually used these days, it’s calling out to GitHub - online-go/score-estimator: The score estimator and dead stone removal suggester used on online-go.com. (see calls to OGSScoreEstimator) to do a lot of the work these days.

Regardless, all that code should probably be thrown away and replaced with something that doesn’t suck :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hmm. Thank you.

3 Likes